Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone made a T-shirt quilt ?

Blog Entries

Has anyone made a T-shirt quilt ?

I want to make a T-Shirt quilt but have no idea how to do it. I am looking for any advise.

I'm getting ready to start one and you can find a tutorial on you tube thats where i looked

I did this last Christmas, with T shirts my ds2 worn from 3 yo to 7 yo. My son refuses to throw away his worn out shirts (he is a sentimental boy), so I thought a T shirt quilt might do the trick. I did this real fast, not meant to be an heirloom or anything!

I squared the centers and added sashing. I tried my best to center, but it is hard for some of them because the smaller sized shirts have the armholes closer together.
    Also, the knit material is wobbly, so I added a fusible stablizer.
    Hope this helps.

Name:  3to7withname1-001.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  142.5 KBName:  3to7withname2.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  104.4 KB
    Last edited by liont; 05-25-2012 at 02:17 PM.

It really isn't hard. Check out u tube first. More than one if you can find and then put on your thinking cap!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a quick tutorial on you tube that is helpful and then I also bought an Eleanor Burns pattern called T-Shirt Quilt that is very helpful. I'm a pattern sort of person even if I don't follow it exactly, it is very good. It has some unique ideas for using jerseys with buttons and also the smaller t-shirt logos. Just depends the amount of information you like. I'm just finishing one for grandson that includes his pre-high school baseball shirts and jerseys. He will be a junior this fall, so I see another one in the future with his high school shirts. I haven't taken a picture of it yet so can't post one. Hoping to do the quilt "sandwich" step this week-end. I'm really happy with the way it is turning out.

liont, I love this quilt ... and sure hope it will be a heirloom after your son grows tired of it! I like the variety of sashings around the t-shirt squares ... and then the borders. What great ideas!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

That is a great memory quilt for him.

Blog Entries
    The most important thing to use is an iron on stabilizer to the back of your t-shirt squares to keep them from stretching out of shape. Check online for "How to make a Tee shirt quilt. www.straw.com/quilting/articles/teequilts.html
    Helen T.

use the search here for pictures and you will get lots of ideas. If the portions of the t-shirts that you want to cut out are equal in size, you might want to use the shadowbox pattern on it. I saw one that came out looking so cool. If they differ drastically in size, you may want to use 12.5, 6.5, and 3.5 inch (unfinished block sizes).

I made a T-shirt quilt several years ago from promotional t-shirts from where I worked. Be sure to use an iron-on stabilizer BEFORE you cut the block because the T-shirt fabric will roll up on you.....bad! French Fusion is a great light weight option. I also used shirt pocket emblems in a 4 patch as well as some elongated images stitched together separated by sashing to make all blocks equal. However, I saw a t-shirt quilt made by putting the images together in a collage effect. It was really cool.....outside the box for sure. Good luck; you will learn a lot as you go.
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast