Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried this? >

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried this?

Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 AM

I buy quilt shop quality fabric for $2.97 per yard all the time and have absolutely no regrets, that being said the fabric is on sale but not from $10.00 a yard more than less has been at the highest $8.99 per yard. So as the saying goes "don't knock it till you try it" what do you have to lose?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM

I have bought fabric from walmart and never had a problem with it. I have always washed my fabric up until recently and it has held up just fine.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM

Some of the WalMart fabric is really quite good and some is, well - I wouldn't use it for a quilt. Having said that, I have found good OSU fabric at ours and some very nice floral. Not really expensive and I do wash it because I don't want to risk it shrinking. However, if I am going to use the Walmart fabric with charm packs, layer cakes or jelly roll strips, I don't wash it because these three items are the ones that I have found that do shrink. I let them shrink together.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM

I've found all different quality of fabric at just about anywhere I've shopped. I've gotten awesome fabric very inexpensively at Walmart - even some in the $1 a yard stuff. Some of the nicest flannel and fleece has been $1-$3
Give it a whirl!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:15 AM

I play with WM fabric a bit in my hand. Hold it up to the light, etc. Like others have said some is very good and some is not. I am sewing weighted autism blankets right now so I want a nice tight weave so prewashing is a must.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:19 AM

I get a lot of $3 a yard fabric from...www.Doviequiltingandfabric.com and it comes from Marshalls, moda etc... very good fabric...on sale..
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Is there any brand name or manufacturer name on the end of the bolt at Walmart? I will check it out.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM

My DIL and I each bought some and it has washed and ironed well. Neither of us has sewn it yet. But I believe it's as good as the 6-8 dollar fabric at JoAnn's or Hancock's.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am still skeptical about the price of this fabric. I haven't been to Walmart in over 3 months. But I remember the old saying, you get what you pay for keeps echoing in my head.

I agree you get what you pay for but in some cases, larger retailers who purchase in bulk can offer better prices. I have used Walmart fabric in many quilts and it seems to hold up just fine.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:50 AM

Seven years ago I retired and for a gift one gal gave me several yards of fabric from WalMart and a pattern because she knew I wanted to learn to quilt. I didn't wash it but made a quilt, put a "fat" batt in it and have used it every Wisconsin winter on our bed since. It gets washed several time a winter and of course when it is put away for the summer months. It has held up beautifully and still has its bright colors. Having said that, I buy from one of my favorite quilt shops and on line more than I do from WalMart but am going to check it out and pick some up for backs and see how it works. Thanks for asking this question. grammasharon