Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone tried this? >

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried this?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:23 AM

I bought 4 different colors for a wallhanging. Washed and dried and they still really nice.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 AM

I, too, having been saving big $$$ by shopping those fabrics at Walmart. So far, so good. I always pre-wash and iron. It's been years and I have not been disappointed.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 AM

I bought some, washed, dried and ironed it. It seemed ok until I sprayed the starch on it. Then I pressed it and it kind of bubbled up like the cheap cotton at JoAnn's. It became distorted and wonky like it stretched out unevenly. I was pressing it not ironing it because I didn't want it to stretch. So then I turned my iron down from cotton setting to polyester and used steam. The same thing happened when I used spray starch. So then I decided to try again with no starch and just used steam and it still got that bubbly wonky distorted look. I think it might be a very cheap blend of cotton fibers, it is a bit thin compared to the LQS fabrics, just doesn't have the same heft to it. If you hold it up to the light you can see it isn't woven very tight. I am going to buy another few yards and make a table cloth and placemats for outside by the pool. I would not use it for anything I'd want to cherish and have around for many years. For my use outside it will work just fine.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 AM
shy

I have a quilt I made many years ago.when I first started quilting..It is all wal mart material..It has lasted better than some of the ones made from quilt shop material..I have also saw the same material at Wal-Mart ..and quilt shop with price differences of course..as for u get what u pay for.that doesn't always ring true when u consider..the mark up at the quilt store..so they can stay in business..compare to the fact wally world does not have to have that huge mark up...the feel of the material should be the deciding factor..in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 AM

I have bought some from WalMart and it did pretty good. I check to see if I can stretch it or see through
it before I purchase it. If I can do either, then I don't buy it. If it passes, then I buy it. I do like their
wide width fabric for backing and their roll batting.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 AM

The fabric at Walmart for $2.97 a yard is from Waverly and is very nice. I have bought several yards of various colors and it has been washed and quilted with no problems. Quite satisfied with it and will buy more!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 AM

When our Walmart closed their fabric department several years ago, I bought tons of material that had a really nice hand to it. Lots of white on white bolts with 11 yards and more on a bolt. I have been slowly using it and have had no problems with it. Some of it seems nicer than the LQS material I've paid $11 plus for. What I have used has washed very well.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:20 AM

I bought a yard of the white, took it home and cut off a chunk. Washed it in the sink, scrubbed with it actually and tossed it in the dryer. It came out great. So I have bought several more pieces and plan on making a pieced quilt with the polka dots. The fabric is luscious, it is made with the Waverly fabric name on it and I trust it. If it was Moda, wouldn't you trust it too ? I love Waverly fabrics and have made quilts out of their curtain fabric. I plan on buying even more of the fabric while it is at this wonderful price. One time I was nosing around Walmart fabric in a strange city and found some heavenly feeling ivory printed fabric and it was labeled Thomas Kinkaid. I bought it and it was just wonderful to sew with, cost me about $2.50 a yard. It made up a beautiful quilt. Look at the fabric, feel it. You can tell a difference from bad and good fabric.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I wish there was a Wal-Mart close to us that carried fabric, but I don't. I used to buy a lot of fabric at Wal-Mart, but I made sure I liked the "feel" of the fabric, and I've gotten a lot of bargains there. One of the ladies in the guild I used to attend worked as manager in the local Wal-Mart fabric dept. She told me that she carried some name brand fabrics, and because they bought the fabric in such large quantities, they were able to sell it at a lower price. There are also some fabrics that I leave in the store, but they have some good fabric as well. Now if only the closest Wal-Mart still carried fabric, as they only have a limited amount of precut fabrics in 1-2 yd. pkgs.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:16 AM

I see the same fabric at Wal Mart that I see at Jo-Ann's. Only it's cheaper at Wal Mart. Like fabric everywhere, some is better than others. Never had a problem with their Cranston line....or, indeed, any other I've bought there.

Fabric I bought at Jo-Ann's on Sunday feels kind of stiff but thin. I didn't pre-wash (as I often do) because I was in a hurry. I hope it holds up. It was not cheap ($7.99 a yard) and not on sale (though I used a coupon). Hope it holds up since it's now the backing on the little quilt I'm working on.