Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used this bias maker yet? >

Has anyone used this bias maker yet?

Has anyone used this bias maker yet?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Peel you are correct I do not explain myself very well but that is what I do cut 2 and 1/4 inches wide across width od fabric fold in half wrong sides together then raw edges together sew on front of quilt then I hand stitch to the back thank you for your help but I never do use bias binding unless
on curved pieces I agree with you that bias thing is pricey you know you can make bias tape by pinning a safety pin in your ironing board pad and pulling it through that too Happy quilting Dodie
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

I know there was a thread about this and another new gadjet not too long ago, but I can't find the thread.

As I recall, it does make the kind of tape that is folded in to the middle on each side -- similar to the Clover bias tape tools. In fact, someone pointed out in the picture that was posted that this type of tool seemed to be imbedded in the gadjet.

Also, someone posted that there could be a problem with getting the fabric to cut correctly. Seems to me that poster mentioned that this "new" gadjet is simply a home remake of a commercial item. I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what the potential problem was with cutting the fabric, but just can't remember the details.

If someone else remembers that thread, maybe they can post a link to it.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dodie
I never use bias bindind unless the quilt is curved I cut my binding 2 1/4
inches cross wise on the fabric and fold it in half so have double binding
I have heard bias binding lasts longer but I have never had trouble with mine
Same here. My first quilt is starting to show some wear and tear (and threadbare) but it is no worse on the binding than elsewhere.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 PM

I make my own too. This only makes it an inch wide & that is not big enough for a quilt. I have 3 Clover brand bias tape makers that you iron on the fusible tape & it works pretty good. I would just rather cut my own. I don't bias it either just cut across the material & sew the strips together. Works good for me every time..
Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I went to a quilt shop in a nearby town today and the owner said she was getting one these makers for the shop. She said she saw it at market and it made perfect binding. It heat sets the folds. I'll go back there when she gets it and see for myself. I have the Clover binding makers too and they work okay but if a machine will do it so I don't have to, I'd rather have the machine. I make and use bias double fold, single fold, straight fold and double fold. I don't like making any of it.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:24 PM

I have one and I like it. I just got it and I've used it a few times. No problems here.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Sewing Sue!