Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used this? >

Has anyone used this?

Has anyone used this?

Old 04-09-2015, 01:34 AM

It doesn't seem like it would be any more dangerous to use than a regular rotary cutter, but as others have pointed out, the blade doesn't retract when not in use. I think I could get used to not seeing the blade - sort of like not looking at your needle when you're sewing and just trusting it.

But I don't jump on to new things unless there's a clear advantage, or I'd have drawers full of stuff that I don't use**, and it doesn't really seem better than an ordinary rotary cutter. For people who have trouble gripping due to arthritis or other causes, it might be helpful. I hope people who try this will post their experiences, since it's hard to tell from just watching a video.

** Instead I have just one drawer full of stuff I don't use.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:43 AM

I have too many of the regular type rotary cutters, so I really don't have any need for another 'gadget'. I already have a favorite out of the many that I already have, so I only use that one. My vote on this new palm cutter is that I don't need it, and I probably won't buy it.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:14 AM

I bought this product and am in the learning phase now. I will use it for at least a month and then write a proper review.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:06 AM

I agree with the others. I think it looks awkward to me as well. I watched the video earlier and was no sure about cutting myself. In the video the demonstrator mentioned that one could grip the front with your fingers, but I would be afraid I would somehow cut myself. Several years ago one of the quilters in our group cut her finger using the standard rotary cutter and needed several stitches, since then I have been extremely careful when cutting. I have a good habit of snapping the button on mine when I get ready to put it down. I've noticed most of my fellow quilters don't seem to do this, but I try to be very careful to remember do this, now it is automatic. don't have little ones around, to pick up he cuter, but I could pick it up with the blade exposed and cut myself. I doubt if I would spend any money on a palm cutter.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
Has anyone used the new rotary palm cutter? Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um_VB4q4ywI I am wondering if it is safe and comfortable to use. If anyone has any input, please let us all know. Thanks
Had not seen this before but DEFINITELY would not spend $$$ on this.......and not even sure I would use it if it was just given to me........only thing that it might be good for is cutting strips with the June Taylor strip cut ruler.......IMHO
Old 04-09-2015, 04:43 AM

Awkward and pricey!!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 AM

To me, I think it would be a little AWKWARD, also. I want to see when, I'm starting to cut.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 AM

I have never seen this before but I could see how it could be helpful for anyone who is suffers from aching hands/hand joints. As with any new tool, some time to practice may be called for.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 AM

There was no mention of what type of blades it uses and how you change the blade....the changing the blade could be awkward....I can see the screw inside...just wondering. This tool would be good for the slot rulers and ruler use, however curves and fussy cutting would be a problem since you can't see where you are cutting....strictly for rulers.
I can see that people with arthritis could benefit from it, but they too, would have to know that no pets or grandchildren will be around when it is in sight.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:36 AM

I think you don't need to re-invent the wheel.But to each his own.