Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone used Wool fabric along with batting for added warmth ? >

Has anyone used Wool fabric along with batting for added warmth ?

Has anyone used Wool fabric along with batting for added warmth ?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM

:?:
I have a wool blanket that is really warm in the winter. Wanted to make a quilt with some wool fabric that I have and was wondering if anyone had done one already - and what was the outcome?

I'm thinking that it would shrink and that is my concern.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:30 AM

I have several wool blankets set aside for the same reason. I find them at thrift stores, yard sales and such. I have a special one that I use in the winter for traveling as I get cold on the ride. I have always washed that one. I have had excellent luck washing it in cold water and letting it hang dry. Drycleaning is the other method. Try it with a scrap one and see. If the quilt is for a gift, I would recomment adding a tag with cleaning instructions. If you use them in with the batting, just remember they are heavier than the batting and will add weight to the quilt. I was thinking of using them alone in the quilt, I like the more traditional low loft look. Best of luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Many wools can be washed in tepid (lukewarm - body temperature) water, and then rinsed in the same temperature water.
And then machine dried on a gentle setting. Remove from the dryer when barely dry.

I've washed Pendleton wools this way and they turned out fine. Although I did hold my breath when I was doing it. I had no or very little shrinkage with this.

I've also washed the fuzzy wool blankets this way and they turned out fine.

I don't know if they shrank or not, because I did not measure them ahead of time. They seem about the same.

I did once wash a loosely knitted wool sweater - sort of a fuzzzy yarn - in hottish water (wringer washing machine) and left it agitating in the machine too long - it was a man's sweater and ended up being about the size of a pot holder.

Whatever care the blanket requires, is what the quilt will require.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 AM

I have used wool blankets for batting for years and never had a problem. I wash them first in hot and dry on hot. They tend to be cheaper than batting and make the quilt heavier, which I prefer.