Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hate starch >

hate starch

hate starch

Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Default hate starch

Right now I HATE starch of any type. After laying out 27 flowers and leafs on a quilt and appliqueing 4 the rest started to shed some of their petals. Before long at least half of them laid on the floor. Ok so now what? What the heck happened. Ok so after talking with some of you we figured the starch was the problem. I took a very wet cloth and wiped away as much of the starch as I could and then let it dry. Put more Pellon on each piece and then ironed them back on. I have one row down and 4 more to go. Oh no that wasn't the answer, for most of it at least. OK so now what? I am going to soak the background fabric without the flowers and hopefully it will come out enough to stick. Wish me luck!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM

I think we're missing part of the story.... are you saying you starched your fabric, then applied fusible web, and now the fusible won't stick? Have you tried a little dab of Elmer's washable school glue instead of the fusible? Works for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Try an Elmer's washable glue stick or old fashioned Lapel glue. I bought a lapel glue stick somewhere, maybe Joann's or Hancocks. It was originally used to hold a wonky lapel down on women's blouses.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM

I always use glue sticks. Works great and i don't have to mess with the fusible stuff. It washes out nicely too.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

A dab of Elmer's washable school glue around the edge will work depending on how you are going to finish the appliqués. Try a sample on a different background square and a spare appliqué. Use a toothpick to smooth a little glue around the appliqué edge and stick it to the background. Press with the iron and see how you like it. If you are going to satin stitch the edge, try that and see how it goes. If you are going to use a buttonhole stitch on the appliqué, I don't know if the glue will be enough to hold it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:40 PM

I am using an applique stich so I don't think the glue will work. IF and I say IF I ever try to applique again I will check will ask you quilters just exactly how to prepare for the project. Thank you one and all for your suggestions.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

are you hand appliqueing or machine appliqueing? I do ALOT of applique- glue sticks work great. I've found some of the fusibles *even the lightweight/sew-in ones are sometimes hard to sew through---a light glue stick is not difficult to sew through. I buy cheapy ones *4 to a pack for $1 at the dollar store* they work great and the glue washes out when the quilt is laundered. don't 'HATE' starch- it has it's purpose and uses- sometimes it is a major mainstay-- but you should never add anything *and always pre-wash with detergent- no fabric softener* when planning to use any fusibles...the fabric needs to be without additives for the fusible to hold. *glue should stick fine to your starched fabrics.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I use a lot of Elmer's products but the Lapel brand is the best glue stick for fabric. One little dab and the fabric is stuck until washed out.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 AM

I do hand applique and I use "Roxanne's Glue Baste It" The bottle has a long needle nose applicator, and it comes out in tiny drops, which is all you need. I would never use anything else.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM

....using appliqué stitch? Hand or machine, turn under, blanket, raw edge? Maybe the fusible was "old" or not ironed on right...many variables......

But in thinking this out....one washes the fabric to remove sizing chems, then sprays on starch....wouldn't that be the reason the fusible doesn't stick? Doesn't the directions advise washing fab to remove sizing so that fusible will stick..it seems the starch has added another barrier to the " stick" factor.....