Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What did you used to hate that you don't hate now??

I used to hate doing borders-cutting them and sewing them. I have actually gotten good at squaring and rotary cutting strips now, so they don't bother me. I still hate binding. I have a quilt I should be binding right now. I am finding ways to procrastinate instead. lol

Blog Entries
    pressing (aka ironing). I never paid much attention to it but BOY can it make a big difference in how pieces fit together.

I agree with the ironing answer! I know it helps everything go together nicely but man what a pain!

Ditto with the ironing, and add pinning to the list.

I've learnt to take the time to pin things, they sit so much better.

I don't like sewing the backing together. I guess it is time for me to get the extra wide fabric for the back, huh?

I have sewn all my life. I made my own clothes at 12 and have been sewing ever since. I went from singing bands outfits with all the sequins, to wedding and bridal dresses to drapes to furniture. Been doing it for way too many years.

But that seam down the back of a quilt is the thing I hate the most out of everything.........figures, huh? The simplest thing is the biggest worry.

Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
    I don't like sewing the backing together. I guess it is time for me to get the extra wide fabric for the back, huh?
    Yes, get the wide backs. I did one quilt where I had to stitch the back. Hated it so bad, I buy the wide fabrics for backing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I used to hate making flying geese. I love them in certain types of quilts, but they were such a pain to make. I finally figured out an easier way and now I make them often. I also hate to measure and seam the backs of quilts.
    Loretta: Please, what's the "easier way to make them"? I love flying geese, but mine turn out wonky. :cry:

I used to hate basting, but have grown to understand that sometimes it's necessary.

flying geese....I do them Eleanor Burns style now way way better....ps make them a little bigger than they say and cut them down.....:-)....ahhhh geese a re good now...:-)

Blog Entries
    I don't mind at all piecing backing since I started using this method. It's great. http://www.reddawn.net/quilt/backings.htm

Zucchini (sorry, I couldn't resist. :oops: )

applique--I am trying to learn to like it. I love applique quilts, just not my own personal results.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    applique--I am trying to learn to like it. I love applique quilts, just not my own personal results.
    I didn't like hand applique until I discovered fleece--no fusible web and non needle turning--it's awesome. I'm addicted. I applique at lunch, in traffic jams, anywhere I can fit in a few minutes. A minute here and a minute there really add up!!
    Rose H.

ghostrider - I agree!

I used to hate the fact that working full time meant I couldn't really get involved with any quilting groups who mostly meet in the day. :(

Then I found this site, and now I love the huge variety of stuff going on here, the pictures and chats. :D

Now I just hate not having as much time as I'd like to quilt! :lol:

I hated sandwiching the quilt til I found basting spray. Now it's a no sweat thing.

Actually, I used to absolutely hate points. Now they're a delightful challenge. I now use the fork pins and I love doing them. I also have to ditto the zucchini........

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use to hate making HST until I figured out to cut the squares bigger in the beginning and trim. Wasted a lot of time and fabric before I wised up.

I think the thing I hate the most is all the cutting. No matter how I try I always seem to get off somewhere. The other thing would probably be layering or sandwiching large quilts. I've not yet tried the basting spray but I think I will next time around.
    Muriel
    Ak.Angel

I also hated flying geese - I just got all confused - now I love flying geese - I am doing a civil war sampler and every block has at least 4 flying geese blocks LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Hall
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I didn't like hand applique until I discovered fleece--no fusible web and non needle turning--it's awesome. I'm addicted. I applique at lunch, in traffic jams, anywhere I can fit in a few minutes. A minute here and a minute there really add up!!
    Rose H.
    I am not familiar with the "fleece-no fusible web and non needle turning". Could you tell me what this is all about or direct me to an informational site? Hand applique and I have never been compatible!

This sounds intriguing to me. Applique is not my favorite thing but this might work. Tell us more.

I enjoy piecing, like applique', but I still not to crazy about paper-pieceing, it never turns out quite right. I use to hate ironing but it doesn't bother me any more. Even if it is clothes, :lol:

I used to hate applique. I started doing a fusible applique and tried machine applique. Then I tried hand applique and fell in love! Now it's about 2/3rd of everything I do. I would never have guessed that when I first began quilting.
    Piece...Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    This sounds intriguing to me. Applique is not my favorite thing but this might work. Tell us more.
    I discovered when making a baby blanket a while back that fleece doesn't fray like cotton. The reason applique either has to be fused or needle turned is because it frays.

I cut my applique shape out and pin it down and do a teeny tiny blanket stitch around it. I will try to take a picture tonight (shhh! don't tell my boss, I "chat" with you at work!!!) and post tomorrow.

The fleece is just like butter. The needle just slides through the fabric. I haven't tried stitching a fleece applique to a cotton background, but would assume it would be just as easy.
    I can do an easy shape in about 15 minutes.

Rose Hall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast