Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What did you used to hate that you don't hate now??

Blog Entries
    Oh...it would have to be sandwiching/basting...no wait...its marking the top for quilting...no back to sandwiching...oh yeah...and I'm not to fond of zuchini either.. :lol:

Let me begin by saying what I love the most. I love the cutting process. But I must do it when I'm alone so that I can concentrate and talk to myself. I also love to chain piece. And I love, most of all, the pressing. My blocks never come out to a true size because I steam the heck out of them. I want them flat and crisp. Now -- what I hate the most [well actually I don't really "hate" it, but...] is the sandwiching part. Then the pinning and basting. I've tried the spraying but liked that even less. I would think that the reason I have so many tops waiting for the sandwiching, etc. process is that I procrastinate and then get interested in another project and move on, etc. etc. leaving the WIPs to become UFOs. There I've gotten that off my chest. This thread was a very good idea. Thanks.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    For me it USED to be basting - by hand with needle and thread on the floor - my poor old knees and back - I would get up after an hour or so and feel about 101! THEN I got my microtack basting gun - yesterday I pinned and basted a lap quilt AND a bed quilt - laid out and pinned on the floor then basted on the dining table - it was actually fun with my little gun! :D

K x

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Since I watched the Sharon Schambers Binding tutorial video, I no longer dread the binding. I only used the starch (not the glue) and it worked so well. I also had perfect miters in the corner for the first time. YEAH!

Loretta, I have a fabulous squash casserole dish - u want me to send it to you?

ghostrider, ever tried zuchinni bread? Umm.

I used to love cutting the fabric and now I can't stand it literally. Since I stand to cut I stay on my feet for very long and it makes my legs wobbly
    :(

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever
    I used to love cutting the fabric and now I can't stand it literally. Since I stand to cut I stay on my feet for very long and it makes my legs wobbly
    :(
    Can you kneel on a sturdy bench with a cushy pillow? That would still give you the height leverage and it wouldn't put strain on your feet.

I never hated Zucchini until I discovered yellow crook neck squash. A summer squash with flavor.

Zucs? Make great bread.

tim in san jose

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I make soup out of 'zucs' - we call them courgettes! Some onion, chicken stock, herbs and a few spuds for thickness, then blend and serve with a swirl of creme fraiche. I freeze it in and we eat it all winter long!

K x

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I hate the quilting part. I love piecing, everything about it, but I get so danged frustrated trying to maneuver the quilt through the throat of my machine, no matter how I roll/fold etc. that I've pretty much given up and send mine out. The funny thing is, I practiced FM on the second quilt I ever did, lap size, and though I still don't like it, I think it turned out really well! Let's see if I can attach a pix.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Loretta, I have a fabulous squash casserole dish - u want me to send it to you?

Oooh, me too please! I love squash. Thanks Martina.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    For me it USED to be basting - by hand with needle and thread on the floor - my poor old knees and back - I would get up after an hour or so and feel about 101! THEN I got my microtack basting gun - yesterday I pinned and basted a lap quilt AND a bed quilt - laid out and pinned on the floor then basted on the dining table - it was actually fun with my little gun! :D

K x

So, k3n, do you machine quilt with those little tacks in place?? I love that little thingy too, but I find them (the litle plastic tacks) a problem on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I used to hate Zuchinni until I learned to marinate it in Italian dressing for 3 hours and grill. Yum yum!
    Sliced? in foil? I need more details please.

Banned
    i hate that there are so many beautiful fabrics and project ideas on the market that even if i quilted 8 hours a day 7 days a week i'd never get them all done.

it always saddens me to put a project on the back burner.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG

So, k3n, do you machine quilt with those little tacks in place?? I love that little thingy too, but I find them (the litle plastic tacks) a problem on the machine.
    I have just finished quilting my first ever machine FMQ - up til now I've hand quilted. It was my pansy kaleidoscope. And yes I did it with the tacks in. I'm about half way through taking the tacks out and so far only a couple have been under a stitch and took a little coaxing to get out! I had no problems with them while quilting. And that goes for hand quilting too. I haven't posted yet because I still have to hand stitch the binding to the back.

K x

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Since I watched the Sharon Schambers Binding tutorial video, I no longer dread the binding. I only used the starch (not the glue) and it worked so well. I also had perfect miters in the corner for the first time. YEAH!
    Same here. I hated doing the binding. Would put it off for the longest time, But now, I can't wait to get a quilt done so I can bind it. I do use the glue and the binding comes out perfect. Still not wild about the hand stitching.

BTW ~ my whole family love both Zuchinni and yellow squash, in fact, over abundance of both coming out of garden now. Planning on fried squash for dinner tonight :thumbup: :thumbup:

I learned a long time ago to just do what is necessary so that you can get to the parts you like best. For me the actually handquilting is what I most enjoy. I do the other parts as fast as possible so that I can get to the good stuff.
    I love collecting fabric, handling it and planning what to make. I don't take classes unless it is a project I would have done anyway. I rarely participate in block exchanges etc. I don't like to end up with a finished project that I didn't like in the first place.

The question was "What did you used to hate that you don't hate now??" I USED to hate Zucchini, but it's one of my favorite summer veggies now. I steam small ones with yellow crookneck squash, onions and broccoli. The big older ones that people give me are made into bread and frozen. I have an onion pie recipe that I want to try with zucs, too.

I used to hate marking fabric for cutting or quilting, but don't now since I got my Sewline fabric pencil. It is heavenly and erases like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Quote Originally Posted by GailG

I have just finished quilting my first ever machine FMQ - up til now I've hand quilted. It was my pansy kaleidoscope. And yes I did it with the tacks in. I'm about half way through taking the tacks out and so far only a couple have been under a stitch and took a little coaxing to get out! I had no problems with them while quilting. And that goes for hand quilting too. I haven't posted yet because I still have to hand stitch the binding to the back.

K x
    I've done hand quilting with the little tacks and didn't have any problems. If they were in the way, I'd just clip them out. But I find the bottom ones get caught in the feed dogs and I'm afraid to run over them with the needle. I like them because they hold the layers in place so well. But I've been hand-basting lately.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Gail - are you quilting with the dogs up? Mine were dropped, maybe that's the difference?

K x

I am quilting in the ditch with a walking foot. I would think that would be the difference And then you are probably navigating around the tacks to avoid hitting them with the needle. I do try to place the tacks strategically to avoid having them "in harm's way." Thanks for the reply.

Banned
    I hated the backing part, but since I just make blankets and use fleece. I LOVE IT. NO batting NO binding. YUP easy peasy :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2