Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever sold a quilt? >

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Have you ever sold a quilt?

Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM

Have you ever sold one or more of your quilts? If so, where and how did you advertise? How did you choose a price to charge and would you try it again?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Kas

No, but I have made two for the auctions at my kids' school. I think I would feel way too much pressure if I was making it at the customer's specifications. I don't like being told how to do my art which is why I never went into commercial design. Instead I chose fine art and to be a starving artist. Silly young thing. I never really pursued my art except for myself and friends.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:03 PM

I've made two baby quilts to sell. These were both "word of mouth". I took it in the shorts on both matters because I didn't discuss price to begin with. Lesson learned. I've learned a lot about pricing, and getting a hefty deposit up front.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Yes, I sold several quilts. Advertising wasn't necessary because the buyers saw them on exhibitions. Last year I did a quilt in commission and this is the only way I would sell again. We came to an arrangement about the price in advance, she only choosed the color of fabric she wanted and the rest was up to me!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 PM

I've sold several quilts, but the majority have been art quilts, basically for the wall. The base price is set at $90.00 a square foot and adjusted from there depending upon technique and surface design or embellishment. Quilt tops, that are not quilted, I've figured out how much in cost the fabric was and was grateful to break even. Time was not factored in since they weren't commissioned tops, just house cleaning and getting rid of extra tops I knew I would never get around to quilting. If the top is quilted and you did the quilting, factor in the time costs for your region. If you paid for the quilting, of course add that to your yardage costs, batting, thread and tax percentage, and something for your time. If the price is too low, any future commissions will have you fustrated at working so hard for so little. Reverse psychology, you will be better respected as a craftsman if you don't de-value your work.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Nope I just give them away. Prob crazy but I enjoy it!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 PM

I have done 2 commission quilts. I decided a price based on the design, amount of work, etc. I would like to sell more of my quilts on Etsy. I have figured out a formula that will work for me. I calculate a cost per sq. inch and that way all my machine quilted items will be fairly priced. Handquilted items would be definitely more.

I followed the craft fairs for a number of years and my work is known locally. Word of mouth, business cards and my blog will probably be my most influential advertising.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Silly young girl. When I graduated from high school I thought I would pay my way through college by selling quilts. I made two and finally sold one. This was 1966 and I guess people didn't realize how much time and money that was put into a quilt. The one that I sold didn't pay for the two that I made so I got a job and didn't make another quilt until I graduated college and got a good paying job. To make a long story short you can't make a living making quilts. If you don't de-value your work someone else will. Quilt for the pleasure not the profit.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Power Poster

i sell alot of quilts- every quilt is different- every quilt cost a different amount-
prices are based on cost of materials; design, amount of work; size; quilting cost;
i've sold baby quilts that were $45 and baby quilts that were $200...every project deserves its own story (and price)

most of the quilts i sell are pre ordered- we determine a price, i receive a minimum 50% deposit- balance due upon completion.
when i make quilts just for the joy of making them and decide to sell them it (for me anyway) is easier to price them than the special ordered ones....
i've never advertised beyond my little newsletter- which really just covers quilting services...
most of my sales (10-25 a year) are word of mouth-or display.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

i disagree- many people make livings with their quilting- sorry it didn't work out for you- but many others have made it work- to say it's not possible to make a living making quilts is a pretty negative statement-if it was not possible- quilting would not be the (craze) it is..
Originally Posted by eashka
Silly young girl. When I graduated from high school I thought I would pay my way through college by selling quilts. I made two and finally sold one. This was 1966 and I guess people didn't realize how much time and money that was put into a quilt. The one that I sold didn't pay for the two that I made so I got a job and didn't make another quilt until I graduated college and got a good paying job. To make a long story short you can't make a living making quilts. If you don't de-value your work someone else will. Quilt for the pleasure not the profit.