Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Have you tried the fusible batting?

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granny216 View Post
    How do you baste the 3 layers together with Elmer's? If it has been posted I missed it as I can't be on every day.

Type in 'glue basting' or Elmer's washable school glue basting and the threads that have discussed this will pop up. I am loving using it for my small projects. I recently purchased some one-sided fusible batting and plan to use it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

I used fusible batting for small items and recently on two play mats for my grandsons. I lightly fused the layers together then loaded it on my longarm. I wanted the finished products to be somewhat firm, and they are, but I had to continually clean the gum off of the needle with an alcohol pad. I have no plans to use fusible batting again.

I have tried one brand (can't remeber what it was) but I prefer spray basting. The layer stay together better for me.

Thanks for the tip...will do that right now. I've usedit for applique but wondered about a queen size quilt. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
    Type in 'glue basting' or Elmer's washable school glue basting and the threads that have discussed this will pop up. I am loving using it for my small projects. I recently purchased some one-sided fusible batting and plan to use it.

I have used it on crafty things like tote bags or purses but not a large quilt. I have quilt and don't want the "stiffness" that a fusable adds wheni am stitching.

I have just now tried it for a baby quilt. Seems very stiff. Will it soften after laundering? Don't think I would want to wrap a baby in or under it as it is. Package is June Taylor low low Polyester Quilter's fusible batting. If you think it won't soften, I will take it out and use the regular stuff and just baste the sandwich together.
    An old saying that nothing is perfect in God's World justifies any mistake I make in my quilts, some on purpose and some by accident..

Batting is expensive enough so i have never tried fusible. I love Elmer's and will always use that method. No smell, no overspray.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6