Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lack of solids in my stash

Lack of solids in my stash

In looking through my bins of stash I realized that I have mostly prints and very few solids and/or tone-on-tones. When browsing for fabric my eyes automatically are drawn to the pretty prints and so I neglect buying solids. Does anyone else have this problem? I guess I need to retrain myself so my stash is more well rounded.

Yes, I came to the same conclusion a few months ago and after looking over the colors in my stash I made some purchases of more blenders and some solids. I really prefer blenders but sometimes you just need a solid for a project!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Except for white or once black, I don't think I have ever used solids. I prefer blenders or tiny polka dots. And Tone on Tone whites.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I don't have many solids either. Perhaps a shopping trip is in order!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I am too drawn to the prints. I have a few solids of different colors in my stash but I usually find if I am going to use a solid my stash solids won't work with the print fabrics I want to use so I usually plan a shopping trip to purchase the solids I need for a project. I do have lots of whites, blacks, creams, white on whites, black in black & cream on creams on hand.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I don't have any solids in my stash either. I don't see it as a problem though. I think solids are boring. I like the depth of color you get from a good blender. There are several that will give you the look of a solid with the depth and movement of a print.

Blog Entries
    My thoughts have always been to buy the prints/florals, etc. when you see them - you can always buy the solids later.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    I'm into textures, no solids in my stash.
    Just passing through!

I have the opposite problem!! I have done mostly neutral color quilts so far so my stash doesn't have colorful prints! I am thinking of doing a free form quilt and it feels silly to go out and buy lots of prints....but shopping will be fun, right???

I think the prints are more interesting on the bolt, but not necessarily in the quilt. I'm impressed when I see a beautiful quilt made with all solid fabrics. I've seen some trunk shows done by well known quilters who only use solids, and their quilts are marvelous. I have made an effort to buy some, but so far haven't been adventurous enough to use them. I think it is "easier" to rely on prints with lots of color than to choose the drama of solids.

I have lots of blenders and solids - usually when I find a print that I fall in love with, I find coordinating fabrics (including solids/blenders) that go with that print.
    Linda
    http://quiltingbiker.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I hardly have any solids other than black & white. They always looked so plain to me...until I saw this on FB yesterday (Pinterest - pinned by Bonnie Hunter). Wow! I need to start working with solids and up my game with the quilting. That's what gives it the pop!

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/41869471510783400/

Blog Entries
    I am the same as most- lots of prints and few solids. When I am picking fabrics from my stash, I try to coordinate the blenders with whatever print or prints I have chosen. I have been thinking of buying a selection of Kona solids so I have some in my stash, but now I just go and get what coordinates with my prints if needed.
    'He cannot be a gentleman which loveth not a dog' -John Northbrooke
    Try to be as nice a person as your dog thinks you are.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And I agree that blenders are more fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    My thoughts have always been to buy the prints/florals, etc. when you see them - you can always buy the solids later.

dd
    I go for the prints. I figure the solids are always there but the prints always change. When I buy solids I usually buy a little extra for the stash.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    Except for white or once black, I don't think I have ever used solids. I prefer blenders or tiny polka dots. And Tone on Tone whites.
    I agree with tesspug. I like the look of a little texture in what I use for solids so I collect tonals or watercolor batiks from Hoffman.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My stash is almost entirely solids, marbles, blenders, tiny tonal prints and other fabrics that read as solids from a distance. I use them like paints to provide the texture, contrast, value and color to my quilts but let the piecing provide the 'pattern'.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't have many solids (other than black) either. I think it's because it's so much more fun buying the prints.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
    This is my thinking too. Prints come and go, but solids are fairly consistent, although certain specific shades do probably come and go a bit.

I keep several yards of a few different solids on hand though - black, white, off white, true red, dark grey & light grey. I usually have anywhere from 5-10 yards of each of these on hand. These are the colors I use the most, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    My stash is almost entirely solids, marbles, blenders, tiny tonal prints and other fabrics that read as solids from a distance. I use them like paints to provide the texture, contrast, value and color to my quilts but let the piecing provide the 'pattern'.
    Wonderfully put and this is what most of my stash is well. I'm just drawn to the flow of the blenders and batiks (batiks being more of the marbled or blended variety even)
    Erin

Most of my stash is prints also. The solid fabrics that I do have are 100% cotton thrift store sheets that I purchase for quilt backings.
    Sweet Caroline

I don't have trouble buying solid colors I use routinely, nor mottled prints. I have trouble buying lighter colors to blend with the darker colors.
    Sue Wilson

When I see a good sale, I will stock up on solids and blenders. I figure that when I stumble over a print that I love, I will have plenty of things that go with it. So far, that is the case. I try to organize my fabric by color, so that I can see at a glance what I have a lot of, and what is lacking. I lean more toward contemporary quilts, so there is a method to my madness.

Blog Entries
    I have mostly prints too. I've been trying to get a few solids so I have mostly brown, black, gray and white now. And a few colors.

I've never been a fan of solids AT ALL. I've seen many beautiful quilts ruined using solids instead of blenders. Next to a beautiful print solids look cheap and nasty. My opinion but that's my eye.
    I've got a phenomenal stash and can't really justify buying more fabric, but I do. Just now I have such an awesum collection of prints I actually don't mind spending on blenders or tone on tones. I use so much of them across many quilts, so hunt them out at sales. I also do a lot of applique so I can use them for backgrounds and the applique pieces. For now just concentrate at finding good colours at sales and buy up. Most prints will be one quilt. Blenders will be in every quilt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast