Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lack of solids in my stash >

Lack of solids in my stash

Lack of solids in my stash

Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I have few solids in my stash, not sure why, except that I've always been drawn to the look of tone on tone fabrics as I think they give new light and dimension to a quilt. I try to keep a stash of beige and white tone on tone fabrics, as I try to buy several yards at a time, especially when on sale, as I use them a lot.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:25 PM

I have some prints, a few solids, and millions of blenders. Guess what grabs my eye? Lol!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
My thoughts have always been to buy the prints/florals, etc. when you see them - you can always buy the solids later.
My thoughts as well. I do have some small pieces of solids and usually use them as small pieces...like the center of a log cabin block.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:06 PM

i noticed that recently & i thought "you can always buy solids, but the prints disappear & if you like it--buy it before you can't! people never search for a certain solid do they? they're always searching for some sort of discontinued patterned fabric...
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

I think if I look hard enough, there is one solid golden yellow somewhere in my stash, I'm sure of it.

You are not alone. Why use solid fabric when you can use beautiful patterns and flowers and paisley and batiks and madris plaids and polka dots and, well, you get the picture!

Solids don't exist in my stash and it is not a problem! Enjoy what you love.
peace
Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
I am the same as most- lots of prints and few solids. When I am picking fabrics from my stash, I try to coordinate the blenders with whatever print or prints I have chosen. I have been thinking of buying a selection of Kona solids so I have some in my stash, but now I just go and get what coordinates with my prints if needed.
That's exactly what I do, I have enough fabric to last a life time so I con't go out shopping just to buy a bunch of solid for just in case.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Common problem...LOL....
Old 06-20-2014, 09:23 AM

I have a few solids, but not many. I look at the fabrics and the prints always draw me in.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
people never search for a certain solid do they?
Well if you include traipsing through stores and websites for the perfect shade of green to merge with multiple fabrics already selected...a green that's not too yellow, not too blue, not to loud, not too muted, not too tinted, not too shaded...then some people most certainly do! Color is a critical element to some quilters, and short of dyeing your own, it can sometimes take a great deal of searching to find just what you are looking for. All greens are not equal. Nor reds, nor blues, nor.....