Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing Moda Bella solids and Kaufman Kona solids >

Mixing Moda Bella solids and Kaufman Kona solids

Mixing Moda Bella solids and Kaufman Kona solids

Old 12-08-2014, 05:34 PM

Default Mixing Moda Bella solids and Kaufman Kona solids

I am collecting FQs of solid blues for a baby boy quilt. In order to have as many shades of blues as I want to have, I will have to use more than one brand. During Thousands of Bolts FQ sale a week ago, I bought lots of the Moda Bella blues. Will the Kaufman Kona solids mix in well with them?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:09 PM

I have mixed many brands of fabric in many quilts, as long as you like how the colors play together, I don't see you having a problem
Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM

I mix Kona and Moda Bella all the time with no problems. They have slightly different textures but I don't consider that a problem. I first go for the right colors and don't really worry about mixing various manufacturers.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 AM

I mix any cotton I happen to like - including batik. I wouldn't know whose line it was as I never look. I'm only concerned about how colors work with what I'm doing. The only cotton that can be iffy is some of the cheap store brands.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I mix any cotton I happen to like - including batik. I wouldn't know whose line it was as I never look. I'm only concerned about how colors work with what I'm doing. The only cotton that can be iffy is some of the cheap store brands.
This, exactly. They fabrics might have slightly different drape and hand initially, but once chopped up, sewn back together and laundered a couple times it's pretty much impossible to tell any difference. Mix with abandon! It'll be just fine.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I have mixed various cottons solids before because at the time, RK had limited colors. I also have mixed batiks with cottons. The quilt police have never knocked on my door and arrested me yet !!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 AM

I mix fabrics all the time. The made to go together lines are pretty but I like to put my own twist on quilts. I don't want my projects to look like someone else's. Just call it artistic choices.