Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another question from me---about machines >

Another question from me---about machines

Another question from me---about machines

Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Question Another question from me---about machines

Hey there all,

I just posted a thread about how to shop for a new machine, but for this one I want to ask something a bit different. What I would like to know is: What machine do you have? What are some of the things you like the best about it? Is there a feature from a different brand that you wish your machine had but otherwise love it?

Also, I know that on some machines you can't use the foot pedal with the start/stop button like you can with some of the Pfaffs. Those of you with the machines that can't: Is it a pain to unplug the pedal every time you want to use the button or is it really not that big of a deal?

Again, as with the other thread, thank you for anything you can tell me.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:10 AM

I like the needle threader on my Pfaff 7510. I don't like the one on my Viking Quilt Designer - it gets bent too easily and is hard to use.

I also like the auto thread cutter on newer machines. Love the IDT on my Pfaff. My Pfaff is older so I don't have a start/stop button on it.

My Viking lets me wind a bobbin without taking the thread out of the needle.

Both have "needle down" button - you press it and every time you stop the needle stays down - can't imagine sewing without that.

Also look at the cost of extra feet. Which feet does it come with? Feet for the Viking get pricey.

You may also want a straight stitch plate for piecing.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 AM

I have a brother Dreamweaver XE6200D. Things I love about it are the large harp, pivoting feature, don't need knee lift, multifunction foot pedal, can cut thread sew backwards forward, needle threader, the lighting is super bright, the dual feed muvit foot, this foot goes through anything with perfect stitching, can plow through over 10 layers of fabric with ease, and sews difficult fabric well, my machine sews knits well, embroidery is super easy to do and place, you can turn thread sensors off if you don't want them. The laser is nice for straight line stitching. I love the pen for multiple thing stopping for binding or decorative stitching. I love it for placing embroideries where I want, and moving my needle where I want when I sew, lots of stitches. I used to want accufeed or IDT, however the mufit foot is better than a walking foot or IDT. It is large and it is not built in to the machine, but it never bothered me to put on a walking foot. I would say the main thing I don't like about the machine is its portability as it is large and super heavy, not a machine to travel or take to classes even though I want to. The throat plate is cumbersome to take off, would like it to come off easier, but for all the wonderful features its something I see as just a small nuisance. I personally don't mind unplugging the machine for the start/stop feature, but I hardly use the feature unless my daughter wants to play on my machine, and the embroidery still works with it plugged in. Honestly ever since I purchased my machine I really don't have the machine envy I used to, and I still learn new thing my machine does all the time that I didn't know it could do. There are a lot of brands on the market and all have different feature, like janomes have accufeed but not the pivoting feature, pfaffs have IDT which is different than accufeed and I think they tend to go through layers better than janomes. Juki's are also very popular and the stitch quality on them is nice. You just have to find what features appeal to you most and most people prefer certain brands. I am a brother girl, have only owned brother machines or brother made babylocks. I have used viking, bernina, and most people I have been around have janomes, but after experiencing all of those it just confirms I love my brothers, even my cheap ones have been a workhorse for me. There is little I dislike about my machine, even my cheap one from walmart I love and use quite a bit, makes the best straight stitch.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Have you read any of the previous posts that you can find on advance search?? You have to decide what options you want to have on your DSM and what you can afford. I am sure that if you enter any type of DSM on Google search, you can find the exact information on what options are on which machines. I have an old Bernina 1530 and I love it. I don't need a larger throat, I don't need the cut off thread or the last beam. You just have to decide what options YOU want and if you can afford those options. Good Luck and remember to have fun shopping.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 AM

I have a Bernina 440 QE, and the features I like the most are the needle up/down button and the knee lift. Also, the feet are very easy to change, and the needle plate is very easy to remove to clean the lint out. I like the on/off button feature, too, and since the foot pedal plugs in on the side of the machine in the front in the same place the feed dog button is, it is very convenient. I use it when I am doing FMQ, and also when I am making eyelets.

The one option I would like to have is the automatic thread cutter; however, I try to chain piece as much as possible, so I can live without it.

Good luck in your search.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 AM

Thank you for your answers! I'm not entirely sure what I want just yet, but I am getting a little closer.

PatPitter: That is a really good idea about checking the prices of any extras for a machine. Thanks!

Dolphyngyrl: The Dreamweaver is actually one of the machines I'm wanting to check out, so thank you for your detailed post.

ManiacQuilter2: Oh, you have no idea how many posts, websites, and reviews I've combed through. I guess I am at the research stage now where I just need to examine each machine up close and personal. I'm a very indecisive person unfortunately, seriously, I'm a nightmare, LOL.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM

I love my Husqvarna 875 Quilt.

It sews perfect stitches every time.
It loves every thread I've used with it. I usually use different colours of Superior Bottom Line in the bobbin for everything from piecing to quilting; top thread is usually Connecting Threads or various Superior Threads. I have Superior's Cone Stand which I highly recommend.
The Start/Stop Button works with the foot pedal plugged in.
The needle threader works well.
I love the thread cutter.
It has a wide harp.

FYI, it was my first machine since my 1966 Elna Supermatic (the one with cams & electronic foot control).
Old 12-09-2014, 05:20 AM

I have Bernina 440QE, Bernina 710, Bernina Quilt Frame and Bernina Serger. I love my machines and was drawn to purchase them because of the store where they are sold in my area: A Different Touch. They are not just a sewing machine store, they service machines on premises and are also a fabric and notions store and hold classes - something going on almost every day. I go to a Bee there and a monthly Bernina Club. I have learned so much, been encouraged so much and met many wonderful people there.
So before you buy a machine, check out the shop. Do they offer free guide classes with a new purchase, do they have Bees and clubs you can attend to hone your skills and learn even more about your machine, do they service machines on premises, etc. You can't put a price on service!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 AM

I love my pfaffs. My old one was over 30 years old when I went shopping for a new one and I really wasn't very knowledgeable about all of the new features but the idt, good lighting and beautiful stitch quality were what sold me on the Pfaff machines. They had features that I didn't even know that I would use and love.
Really though, without a good dealer who was willing and able to spend so much time with me, most of the features would likely not have gotten used and been as fun to learn. I agree with alleyoop1 and would consider the dealer as an important part of my purchase decision.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:28 AM

I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. (but it was my first machine that I ever bought) I love the thread cutter and the needle threader. I love the needle up and down option. I really like the off/on button. I only use the pedal for FMQ. I can wind a bobbin and keep my needle threaded - - someone told me that I can sew while I wind my bobbin but I haven't tried that yet. Honestly the only things that I would change is that the base of the Janome 6600 doesn't break down to allow me to sew sleeves and pant legs. Some of the pant legs and sleeves do fit, but my skinny little niece's don't so I couldn't do those on the machine. I also wish it had better lighting.. but that is probably the same for most machines