Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used bamboo batting in your quilts? >

Have you used bamboo batting in your quilts?

Have you used bamboo batting in your quilts?

Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Gal

Would love to hear what others say about working with bamboo batting.
I bought some a while back and the assistant said I could use it for hand quilting, it feels lovely soft, yesterday I was speaking to another assistant from the same shop and she said use it only for machine quilting! I have been caught out before listening to what sales people are trying to sell you. Although I am a sewer, I am still learning about quilt making.

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences regarding this type of batting.

Gal
Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Jim

we havent used it but were told that its good for hand quiltimg..some of the long armers we know won't use it..so we wont be trying it on ours
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 PM

I used it for handquilting and I love how soft it is. But, I had problems with it. The batting would get caught on the thread and seeped through the fabric as I pulled the thread. I don't know if I am explaining properly. It looked like hair coming out of pores. I had to use tweezers to pull the batting out.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM

It is too environmentally unfriendly for me to use. The process to create it is really chemically bad, so I pass on it. JMHO.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 PM

I have used it in machine quilted quilts and one hand quilted piece. I like it. It does come through if you use thinner fabrics. My hand piecing was with a linen fabric, and it was fine.
I wash my quilts in the machine - I make for them to be used, not for posterity. I find bamboo to be warm in winter and cool in summer.
Yes, I am a fan. I have made a quilt with wool batting for a friend, machine wash, and it is holding up well.
I think it is softer than cottons.
I think all battings have an environmental impact.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
I have used it in machine quilted quilts and one hand quilted piece. I like it. It does come through if you use thinner fabrics. My hand piecing was with a linen fabric, and it was fine.
I wash my quilts in the machine - I make for them to be used, not for posterity. I find bamboo to be warm in winter and cool in summer.
Yes, I am a fan. I have made a quilt with wool batting for a friend, machine wash, and it is holding up well.
I think it is softer than cottons.
I think all battings have an environmental impact.
I used quality LQS fabric and it still came through. I also used it for machine quilting and it worked fine. I just won't use it for handquilting again.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM

I've used it for both hand and machine quilting. Love it! Had no problems either way. Probably depends on the brand. Can't remember the brand name of the one I used though. I'm sure I've got the details some where.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 PM

I'm hand quilting with it at the mo...well I am when I can get my cats off it :). It's lovely to work with, and very warm and snuggly.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
I've used it for both hand and machine quilting. Love it! Had no problems either way. Probably depends on the brand. Can't remember the brand name of the one I used though. I'm sure I've got the details some where.
I agree, it can be the brand I use. I bought mine at a quilt show in California. I should try another brand. Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 PM

I used quality LQS fabric and it still came through. I also used it for machine quilting and it worked fine. I just won't use it for handquilting again.[/quote]

The linen I used was a thick one, and it did come through on my thinner fabrics (Liberty Lawns) on the machine quilting, Sorry, I typed it twice, and some of words got lost :D