Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of bamboo batting?

Blog Entries
    I just bought some bamboo batting - it seems really nice and soft, with a fairly low loft, which I like. I usually buy Warm and White (or Warm and Natural). Has any one else used it, and what do you think?

I used it for a quilt about two years ago. I liked it, but somehow I remember it costing more than Warm and Natural. It washed well. It was only my second quilt, so if it sewed poorly or something, I did not know enough to know.

I will be reading this thread to see what others say.

I love it. I think it drapes beautifully. It is also hypoallergenic.

I have used bamboo and really like it. Very soft, easy to needle, yes it costs a little more but would use it for a special project for a special someone.

I've used it and like it. I was buying it since it's "green" since bamboo grows so quickly. Well, some research on this board, bamboo fiber is really difficult to make from the bamboo and involves a ton of chemicals and is awful for the environment. So I'm back to my Warm and Natural.

I bought some on a show special in Paducah $20 for a King - couldn't pass that up. haven't tried it yet so I'll be reading this thread!!

Blog Entries
    i like it

Blog Entries
    I have used it in customer quilts. I have to say that I do like it better than W&N. It doesn't create a bunch of lint build up and it's really soft. It doesn't bunch up like w&N either. SO that my perspective.

Blog Entries
    I like it.

I bought a package of Bamboo batting when I got a 60% off coupon from JoAnn's and used it on a quilt I made for a gift. I really liked the way it turned out. My only concern was that this particular batt seemed to generate more fuzz in my bobbin case than the Warm and Natural I have been using. Hadn't changed thread type so I assumed the extra fuzz was coming from the batting. Anybody else notice this?

Blog Entries
    It does have a nice soft hand and drape.

I agree with Lucy above - it's marketed as being green and environmentally friendly, but it's not. I actually did quite a bit of research on this, you can read my conclusions here if you are interested.

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...amboo-batting/

I've used it only once, and don't have enough information to give good feedback. I have been concerned about the recommendations to wash it right away so that oils don't get on your quilt.

No, I didn't notice any more fuzz than usual when quilting with it.

I'm using it at the mo and it is nice to hand quilt. My cats also like to snuggle in to it :)

My last quilt was made using Bamboo batting, and although it felt nice and soft, I found it "flimsy", or not enough "beef" to it like cotton, cotton blends or wool. Also, my daughter and husband found it too "light" in weight, and not warm enough....I have to agree. But that may just be a matter of getting used to it or finding another brand.
    I may try it again, for a summer quilt, because it does needle very nicely.

I have found it quite easy to work with and beautiful results, but it is a bit more costly than other options. As for "green" batting, there is now one on the market that is made from recycled soda bottles and actually is a light shade of green!). I purchased one from a LQS, but have not yet used it. I like the way it feels, though.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I have used it in customer quilts. I have to say that I do like it better than W&N. It doesn't create a bunch of lint build up and it's really soft. It doesn't bunch up like w&N either. SO that my perspective.
    I agree :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I've used it and like it. I was buying it since it's "green" since bamboo grows so quickly. Well, some research on this board, bamboo fiber is really difficult to make from the bamboo and involves a ton of chemicals and is awful for the environment. So I'm back to my Warm and Natural.
    nice to know, thanks

I used some on a quilt for my sister. It was an absolute joy to handquilt; it's got such good drape I was able to load a whole bunch of stitches on my needle, making the quilting go pretty fast.

I used the bamboo batting in my GD's queen size quilt and I loved it! Only tried it as it was on sale and I also had a coupon I could use.

Blog Entries
    Just to add a bit more info.....the brand is Arctic Bamboo, it is made by Trend-Tex, it is 45% natural bamboo fibre, 45% staple cotton fibre, and 10% non-woven polypropylene reinforcement, and it says on it that no pre-wash is required, and that it is mechanically cleaned, without the use of any harsh chemicals. You can stitch up to 8" apart and if you use it right out of the package you can expect 3% shrinkage when you wash the quilt. It sounds and feels pretty good! I bought it at Lens Mills, a Canadian company for $16.99 per yard (120" wide), which is pretty good, for Canada. I guess it goes on sale sometimes, too. C9P

I just finished using it in an over sized twin that I did on my home machine. while a pain to quilt a twin on a machine with almost no throat space it turned out wonderful. I loved how it quilted up and how it feels. it is a bit heavy to me but that is probably because i have never made such a large quilt. I have also made a few doll play quilts with the scraps that I had left over after trimming down the batting before quilting. and they are wonderfully soft. I got it more because of the hypoallergenic reason and not because of the green. Mine was 100% bamboo and had been needle punched with a scrim added to it to help stabilize it.

I had tried it when it first came out. It was nice to work with but once more information became available as to its total "green" impacts .. I stopped using it. I was willing to pay a bit more for a truley "green"product" , but its really not so...

I've used it a few times and love it. Son and family live in a warmer climate and it's ideal for them. Also like the drape and found it a lot easier to hand quilt as it's fairly lightweight.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking forward to trying bamboo after these good reviews!
    peace :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast