Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ? >

Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ?

Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ?

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Way back when I saved a whole lot of patterns,I had plans to make them all.
Last yr during a quilting slump,spent time cleaning /sorting/tossing a lot of quilting stuff.Knew there'd be a pattern crying out to be made.Figured wrong!
None of them interested me.To a lesser degree,the same with my stash.A lot of fabric I regretted buying.Will use them in strip quilts.I deleted a bunch of patterns & also made a big bag of goodies for a nursing home.
Found a couple patterns ppl posted on here,but decided not to shop for fabric unless I plan to make the quilt that wk.Surprising how many quilt pics I can admire on line, but don't want to make them.
Same goes for fabric lines.Pretty,but I have just don't care for some colors...especially those I used to love.Why? Have no clue.What about you?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I think that is part of the learning/growing process. Sometimes I am bored with doing it again. I'm always up for the new challenge in color or design. I love to look but I try to stay on target and finish what I have started.
I do a purge every few years. If I have not done it by now I'm not going to....soooooo pass it on.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I most definitely have changed over the years. Especially fabric colors/designs.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Hmmm. I would say that my GENERAL tastes haven't changed, in that I prefer more traditional designs, rather than "Art" designs, but as my skill and knowledge and experience grow, I am more comfortable with more complicated patterns and designs. Patterns I would never have considered 10 years ago because of my skill level, now can look appealing, and I am more comfortable trying new (to me) techniques, including some "Art"-type techniques like landscape designs and applique. And I still love all my fabric. Well, except for the weird kitty faces.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Goodness yes!! I have changed my tastes and have slowly been going thru my stash and passing on the fabric's I nolonger want. Some I sell and some I give for postage. Why keep it if I'm not gonna use it.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Well, yes and no. I just flipped through my binders of patterns (I pull patterns from magazines and store them in plastic sheets) and there seems to be a lot of repeats. I must have a ton of house patterns, leafs galore (geesh, I must REALLY like leafs) and while the colors span the two decades I've been doing this, I still like every pattern in the books. Will I do them? Probably not.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Yes and for awhile I was freaked out about all the fabric I no longer liked but have passed some on and used some up.
Conversely I like some things I never did before and I love so much of the new stuff coming out. Wish the companies would all go on a year-long vacation so I could stop buying!!( of course it's their fault lol) But I have a lot of my faithful rulers, tools etc that I've had a long time.
It's always, always fun!! That's the important thing :D
Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 AM

In the 30 years I have been quilting my taste has changed at least 4 or 5 times. Fabrics I bought when I first started out would not even be any where near my stash now. That is why I keep my stash rather small. Why buy some thing today I might not like next week. But when I do see a fabric that wow's me I get at least 3-5 yards of it. And black and white on white I buy by the bolt.
Unlike some others my taste right now is simple. I am so into Amish patterns right now I just love them. I am sure it will change again, and again. I have so much to look forward to, that is why quilting is so great, we have so many styles, patterns, types, sizes, fabrics to choose from to work our craft on.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:10 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Goodness yes!! I have changed my tastes and have slowly been going thru my stash and passing on the fabric's I nolonger want. Some I sell and some I give for postage. Why keep it if I'm not gonna use it.
Me too!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Oh, my...I definitely have changed in the last 5 years with my taste in fabric (I've become a fabric "snob"...LOL)and quilt patterns. I use to buy fabric because it was "cheap" (which it was...in more ways than one!) but now I'm more selective. Probably because it costs so much more but the quality is no comparison. I was cleaning out my stash drawers about a month ago when my DH did some major renovations to my sewing room. It was a good time to go through all this fabric that I thought I liked years ago. When I started looking at this fabric I wondered what I could have been thinking at the time when I bought it! To be honest, I don't think I really knew any better. The "knowing" comes with experience, I think.

As far as patterns go, I started out with traditional ones (but never made) then I went to modern (which I have made) and now I'm getting back to the traditional again. I think that's because I have more experience under my belt and I'm not as intimidated by them as I once was.

As with any thing in life, I think we grow and change :)