Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ? >

Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ?

Have Your Quilting Tastes Changed ?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

My tastes have certainly changed! My knowledge/experience, etc. has increased in many areas, so I've moved on. At first, I was buying fabrics at JoAnn's, as well as a Singer machine from there. Taught myself to quilt. Now my fabric tastes have expanded, and batiks are my favorites! I know I can't buy or use all the fabrics I like, so I can still appreciate what others make. I so enjoy the sharing aspect! Folks here are so creative, kind and happy! :)
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM
JJs
Banned

I've always been into eclectic and I still am.

I have fabrics all the way from Civil War era and 40s reproductions, to batiks to stuff from what's happening now. I have subtle stuff, wild stuff, 'normal' stuff, and bland stuff....

When I buy fabric (now) I get what 'jumps off the shelf and says buy me' - I have gotten more selective over buying than I was when we had less money. I do NOT pay ridiculous prices for stuff - I buy online, or markdown, or outlet but I buy GOOD fabric.

As far as the 'patterns' I use - I'm a firm believer in traditional (read PUBLIC DOMAIN lol) blocks. You can take ONE BLOCK and make a gazillion different quilts from that ONE BLOCK. The changes are in the size of the blocks, the colors of the fabrics, the sashing used (or not) the setting (on point) used, make 4 small blocks and one giant block using the same pattern, run a row of tiny blocks down the side - wala, "fancy" quilt and nobody to tell you it's theirs! Stick a little applique on here and there and REALLY make it fancy....

Use a 'line' of fabrics - or not, the possibilities are endless.

I'm trying to do more intricate stuff now, or taking more time or whatever, or using different ideas, but I still do 'simple' patterns now and then....

just whatever strikes my fancy LOL
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

With all those magazines from the 80's & 90's I have for sale one can see many changes in what was popular. It seems there were a lot more appliqued patterns before the days of rotary cutters and you can notice the use of more strips, HST's, etc in the newer ones. Not a Batik in sight! That would not make me happy!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

I am learning that I like all colors now, I use to hate orange, and now I find I am loving some of the hues out there. God bless.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:37 PM

My choices haven't changed too much. Most fabrics/quilts that I wasn't wild about, I still don't care for. And I am still attracted to the same colors and designs I always liked.

But I have gotten a little more adventurous after seeing all the different quilts on the internet. So I do step out of my comfort zone occasionally and try something that's different for me.