Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having trouble sewing binding on minkee quilt >

Having trouble sewing binding on minkee quilt

Having trouble sewing binding on minkee quilt

Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 AM

I backed a quilt with minkee and have had a real headache with it. I can't get it feed evenly even with a walking foot. I ended up tying the quilt (there is no batting in it).
Do you think it would be okay to sew the binding by machine only to the front then hand stitch it to the back?
You guys are so smart and have always helped me so thanks in advance for ay help you can give.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith
I backed a quilt with minkee and have had a real headache with it. I can't get it feed evenly even with a walking foot. I ended up tying the quilt (there is no batting in it).
Do you think it would be okay to sew the binding by machine only to the front then hand stitch it to the back?
You guys are so smart and have always helped me so thanks in advance for ay help you can give.
Sewing the binding to the front & handsewing to the back is a traditional method for binding. And...if this is what will work to get the quilt finished and looking nice the way you want it...then why not? Your quilt...you can do it any way you would like. Good luck & please share pictures when you have it finished :)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM

With my minkee backed quilted I just sewed right sides together and turned right side out. No binding. Then tied it. I did not have the patience to bind that slippery stretchy fabric!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 PM

a trick that I do is put paper over the minkee so the feed dogs don't pull on it. I think that is easy to put binding on that way. I love minkee and you just have to take your time with it. :)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks all for the great advice.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM

a trick that I do is put paper over the minkee so the feed dogs don't pull on it. I think that is easy to put binding on that way. I love minkee and you just have to take your time with it. :)
Thanks for that great tip :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123
I have found that strips of tissue paper (the gift wrapping kind, not butt wiping kind) works the best for this! I always use the white just in case it some how gets wet the color doesn't bleed onto the fabric. :)