Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Having trouble sewing binding on a quilt using my Janome Horizon- need help

Question Having trouble sewing binding on a quilt using my Janome Horizon- need help

I am having trouble getting the fabric to move when I go around my mitered corner. I am not using a thick batting, but the layers get stuck under the dual feed foot. I have ironed my layers to see if that would help. I am now thinking of using a hammer to hammer the layers down. Has anyone else had this problem?

Beth

I'm not familiar with the Janome Horizon, so this may not help. First, do you have a walking foot? That's what I always use. Second, can you adjust the needle bar height?

Blog Entries
    Walking foot, and using a stiletto might also help.

thanks for your reply. I think that the dual feed foot is the walking foot for the Horizon. I will check to see if I can adjust the needle bar height.

I have a Janome 7700. This is true for a normal foot - I am not certain about the dual feed.

What I have experienced is that the foot is angled up when I turn the corner. What I have learned is that you want something as thick as your quilt at the back of the foot so your foot is not trying to sew uphill. I have used a small pad of post it notes and also several layers of fabric. The item is only needed a few stitches and gets pushed away by the quilt.

Hope this works for you.
    ( `v )
    `.. ♥
    ..) .*) Sheri in Texas
    (. (. .
    a stitch in time saves nine.....

Blog Entries
    Dont you sew off at an angle or horizontally at each corner? All binding instructions I ever seen shown this. You wouldnt be pivoting at each corner. I usually use the AF foot for binding with my 6600

I never had that problem. Maybe unscrew the knob straight up from the presser foot. I don't have that same machine, don't know if this is possible on yours. Could be there is too much pressure on the foot with that thickness.
    I hope this helps or someone else may be along to help.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I put the needle in the down position and then use the knee lever to slightly lift the foot as I proceed.
    Heidi
    Life is like a tornado watch. You can hunker down in the cellar or stand on the roof and let the wind give you rock star hair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    Don't you sew off at an angle or horizontally at each corner?
    This was my thought too, but then it occurred to me that maybe she's sewing the whole thing by machine and is at that stage where she's sewing it to the back. That would mean sewing (possibly) through 6 layers of fabric and one layer of batting.

I put the presser foot down an inch forward from the edge and backstitch...then stitch forward again...reinforces the corner and eliminates the problem.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps, but when I sew to the back I use the same method I mentioned. Maybe she is doing a curved corner with bias binding????

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have sewed the binding strip on the back and folded it over to the front. I then sew the front piece down using a straight stitch a little to the right of the "ditch". I did end up going to the sew and vac store to see if I was using the accufeed foot correctly. The fabric maybe catching on the piece of metal that I bring down and put under the foot. I am going to play with the needle position. I am also going to try the backstitch suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baslp View Post
    The fabric maybe catching on the piece of metal that I bring down and put under the foot.
    Huh? What is this piece of metal that you are putting under the foot?