Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hello, Garden from Fons & Porter Fall 2012 - I want to strip piece this.

Hello, Garden from Fons & Porter Fall 2012 - I want to strip piece this.

Does anyone have this magazine? I'm looking at the pattern now and it calls for a jelly roll (or 2 1/2" strips) and solid yardage. The jelly roll is then cut into 2 1/2" squares and then pieced together. I want to strip piece the top and bottom units. I can't make my math come out correctly, though.

Basically, I want to use either a Bali pop or a jelly roll and then a solid jelly roll. It seems like I could just cut the strips to length make the strips and then join the units but for some reason I can't get my numbers to work. Can someone that has the pattern help me with the measurements?

Maybe a PM might be better?

Blog Entries
    All I can tell you is take the number of squares you are to cut and subtract two. Multiply the result by 2, then add 4-1/2". Remember you were to sew 2-1/2" squares together, resulting in 2" x 2-1/2" sections. The squares on the ends would have measured 2-1/4" x 2-1/2" after piecing.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Had a look at the picture on their site (scroll down) http://www.fonsandporter.com/issues/...ilts_Fall_2012 How would you be able to strip piece this as each "+" is done in a different colour?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Had a look at the picture on their site (scroll down) http://www.fonsandporter.com/issues/...ilts_Fall_2012 How would you be able to strip piece this as each "+" is done in a different colour?
    Here is my idea: I have a Bali Pop that I made a baby coin quilt out of. I have 29" left on each strip. So I beleive, if my math is correct that I can make 3 crosses out of each strip. So I would just be strip piecing the top and bottom pieces.

UGH, math
    You might have to try your idea using other fabric for a block/strip or two and check out the finished size.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    get some grid paper or print some from the internet. draw it out. then add seam allowances. and use scraps first.