Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Am An Addict

Blog Entries

I Am An Addict

I am in love with the idea of quilting. I love collecting fabrics, notions, tools, etc. I look at my beautiful fabric all nicely folded on comic book boards and find that I don't want to cut them. I have a dedicated craft room with three machines. I have even bought a quilting machine and a frame. I even have an Accuquilt Go. I probably have 50+ quilting magazines. I buy all the quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them all the way through. I find I understand the techniques and "think" I could compete the quilts they show but I have yet to do that. I have only completed one lap quilt and have another top on my design wall. What is wrong with me? I have the desire and all the tools but I can't make myself complete quilts. I believe it is the perfectionist in me. I'm afraid my quilts won't be "perfect". I think I need an intervention.

Linda

I know mine aren't perfect. I look within myself and find the joy that working on quilts gives me. That is why I quilt. Then I realize perfection isn't necessary. To look at something I have finished, even with the booboos, is wonderful. I find that my children, grandchildren, and other family members do not see my booboos. They only see the colorful, soft (to them) wonderful quilt I have created for them. By all means, Linda, start sewing. Have a great time and show us what you did. I applaud them all.

You need a little push into the water. Can you take a class at a local quilt shop, or maybe invite someone over to sew with you just to get the juices flowing?
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Don't you know there is nothing "perfect" in this world? Go for it. People used to put a boo-boo in their quilts . I don't know why, but they did.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I feel the same way. I have everything ready to go, but need a nudge to get going again. I cut out everything for a French Braid and then closed my studio door. I've been in there since, but just to admire my fabric and new items. I can't get going again. I have about 10 new quilting magazines and a few new books and haven't even opened them yet. So, you aren't the only one. It will come to me soon. I kind of think it's the nice weather. I don't want to hole myself up in my studio, I think. At least, that's what I'm blaming it on.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have the same perfectionist tendencies... I think a lot of us do. Here's something that always gets me going - pick a very easy pattern, and make a charity quilt from your stash. You'll get some wonderful "warm fuzzies" thinking about donating the quilt, and it will give you a jump-start. Give it a try!

Life is too short to waste any of expecting perfection. For me, the process is the fun, and giving things away to someone who loves what I make. I have a little quilt hanger on a kitchen wall and make wall hangings to change by the season or occasion. If points aren't perfect, oh well. My midsection is a bit lumpy, too, and age spots decorate my once nice complexion. Those who love me don't care and anyone who finds fault isn't worth bothering with. Live joy.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Think of it this way: all those beautiful fabrics on the shelf wrapped around the comic boards will look so much prettier in quilts or tablerunners. We all like to acquire quilt making supplies, but we need to enjoy creating with them and using those fabrics and objects.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    We crawled before we walked. We had training wheels on our bicycle. Our mother stood over us when we were learning to bake/cook.

We all have made mistakes and had to un-sew, with quilting, like most things we learn by our mistake (and we pray that we don't have to many). Go for it you will do just fine.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

If I lived near you I would bring my kids over and give you a good kick in the tush to get cutting and sewing. I have a bit of ocd when it comes to many many things that I try to control and find that quilting is one of them. I have to force myself to remember that its okay to not be perfect yet i am still learning and will get better with time. I have three quilts that I need to start but just don't want to cut into the fabric because I love these fabrics and don't want to make a mistake. Sometimes we just have to jump in with both feet and eyes closed.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    Imperfect makes it "your design".
    Linda

Try to figure out what is holding you back because it might not be your perfectionism...is it lack of time, don't want to mess up the room, insecurity of what to do? If you decide it is perfectionism then instead of trying to make a whole quilt decide on a block you like and a color scheme you like and just make the block. Don't think of it as making a whole quilt...make just 1 block and DON'T tear anything out and start over! After the block is finished look at it and think about what you want to do differently on the next block and make a new one of the same block concentrating on "fixing" the errors. Keep doing this and not only will you be perfecting your work (which for us perfectionists is very necessary) you will also be building up your block pile. Before you know it your blocks will all be coming out nicely and you can decide if you want to put the first 1 in the quilt top with the other...my guess is if you have someone else lay out your blocks (without you nearby) and you walk in and stand 5 ft back from it you won't be able to pick out your 1st block from the others...you can do this!!!!!

Diannia
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

I learned, a lonnnnnng time ago, that striving for "perfection" means never getting anything done. I'd sew, see a crooked stitch, rip, etc. Drove myself crazy! Nowadays, I just enjoy what I'm doing and if something is crooked, I decide whether or not it's crooked ENOUGH, to be ripped. In most cases, it isn't.

Unless you're planning to enter the quilt in a contest, just ENJOY the experience!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    I really think part of my problem is I do a lot of counted cross stitch. I like it because it is so perfect. I never stray from the pattern. I stitch it just as it is designed with the colors picked by the designer. Quilters have a lot of leeway in picking colors, borders, backing, etc. I lack the confidence in picking light, dark, medium colors. I think the combination of these make the quilt come alive. I think I need the quilt patterns designers tell me exactly what to do. ;-) I hope this picture shows up. It shows part of a lap quilt on the design wall. I picked these colors because I thought they were safe but I'm stuck on the border and backing. I seem to over think the choices.

Linda
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
    I am in love with the idea of quilting. I love collecting fabrics, notions, tools, etc. I look at my beautiful fabric all nicely folded on comic book boards and find that I don't want to cut them. I have a dedicated craft room with three machines. I have even bought a quilting machine and a frame. I even have an Accuquilt Go. I probably have 50+ quilting magazines. I buy all the quilting classes on Craftsy and watch them all the way through. I find I understand the techniques and "think" I could compete the quilts they show but I have yet to do that. I have only completed one lap quilt and have another top on my design wall. What is wrong with me? I have the desire and all the tools but I can't make myself complete quilts. I believe it is the perfectionist in me. I'm afraid my quilts won't be "perfect". I think I need an intervention.

Linda
    Do you want me to come over and show you how I start a project? hehehe. I go into my space, pull out my bin of fabric, make a mess pulling out all manner of pieces, then I iron and start to cut. Last night I pieced the top of a mug rug, but it was the most fun I had all day (I work full time and I cut the grass after dinner). If I had the energy I would have finished the quilting and the binding. I love turning on my sewing machine and making it hum. Maybe you should start with a small project and use your favorite fabric.

Blog Entries
    This thread describes me too. Thanks to reading about others experiences on this site, I'm taking courage in hand and I have a quilt started for a friend whose oldest child is leaving the nest for college. I HOPE to have it done by the time the child leaves. I am starting to understand that a finished non-perfect quilt is much, much better than a quilt that exists only in my mind. So, fellow perfectionists, lets give it a go and enjoy that wonderful fabric as we create something for a person we love.
    Novie
    Working my way through life, one block at a time.

Try making some things for someone where there is a deadline. I'm also a terrible perfectionist. I have had the fabric for 3 quilts for grand kids for several years. I made up my mind this was the year. In the last 2 months I have completed and gifted one. One is waiting for the binding and the third is on Matilda my long arm and will get started today and finished tomorrow. All 3 are very large twins. Think of an upcoming occasion and gift someone. Making someone else happy has proved to be the motivation I needed.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

They called it their "humility block", to prove that no one is perfect. I never had to TRY to make a humility block. I always managed to do one on my own just fine.

I know my quilts are far from perfect.. I don't have all the latest gadgets.. BUT.. I am having a ton of fun.. I am self taught.. I also like designing my own quilts.. The pleasure I get out of not using someone elses pattern is great.. I like the idea that it can't be compared to what it should look like.. I don't have major fabric yardage, but I don't have a need.. I find I can exist with scraps.. I can afford more, but don't have the need. I have a Singer 66, and 99 that I use exclusively.. I have a Singer 600E (with the cams) that I need to clean, and fix, and a Singer made in England that I use, as it does zig zag..
    LIFE IS GOOD

great advice!
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I am a relatively new quilter and I feel like an addict. I put off starting quilting because I thought corners had to come together perfectly. I took a gook look at the quilts displayed in quilt shops and fabric stores and none of them were perfect! Yet they were beautiful. Like so many, I enjoy the process. Nothing else I do is perfect – why should quilting be any different.
    I sew, therefore, I am.

Linda, I was just like you. Sounds like there are others out there like us, as well. Quilting should be fun. I had to sit myself down and have a little chat. I told myself that it was okay to start a project. It's okay to not finish a project. It's okay to make a mistake. The purpose of quilting is to relax and enjoy myself. Once I let go of some of my OCD, I started sewing and actually finish some things! Don't worry about how well you are doing. Just begin and have fun. Start small. Maybe start with placemats and play around with color choices. See how they blend together. And HAVE FUN!! Post pics of your progress on the board so that we all can encourage you. Maybe you will encourage someone else, too!
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

[QUOTE=pad's;5323495]Saying on my quilt labels.....
    "The blocks may not be straight,
    The seams are quite askew.
    But it's made with love,
    Especially for you."

Only God can create something perfect,

And so far He hasn't decided to help with my quilts.

Jump in, my first "quilt" was made from cut-off jean legs back in the 70's.
    One child still has his, crooked squares and all......( if anyone dares to make a comment, "New style, suppose to be that way"......best of luck
    Last edited by pad's; 06-28-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: brain & fingers not working together today

Sometime I think we spend so much on all the machines and stuff that we feel like with all this stuff we have to turn out a master piece every time. And then you may be a little like me and just love all the gadgetry.
    Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

I have to say, LynnVT, I just love your post! First it made me laugh, then I teared up a little. Your comments are so TRUE!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast