Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Am An Addict >

I Am An Addict

I Am An Addict

Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM

I am still a rank amateur, but years ago, I used to teach vocational classes at our local community college. The idea that we can be "perfect" with everything we do -- just replace that with "I am seeking excellence" -- that means that you have done your very best -- at the time --- you will always improve as you grow in your talents, but the most we can hope for is "excellence" not perfection.

Enough of my philosophy!

Jeanette Frantz
Old 08-27-2012, 01:49 PM

i have heard that each quilt should have an imprefection, maybe only slight, but one none the less... it brings the person who the quilt was made for good luck..
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM

I only make quilts for my family, most go to my grand children. All my boo-boos are considered as "stitched with love". So I aim for -good enough- and -will do-. Also I absolutely love the Galloping Horse -method! I do make smaller projects for sale, those I'm more particular with of course.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 AM

I started by taking a beginners quilting class which really helped my confidence. I "collected" fabric and have quite a stash. I too was afraid to start cutting all that beautiful fabric. For a while would only cut fabric for my quilting class. After a couple of months I got an easy pattern for beginners called "fractions" and away I went. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. My seam ripper is my best friend. If I make a cutting mistake I just move on. Now I can't wait to finish 1 quilt top and start another. It is so much fun to cut the fabric and watch the quilt come to life. Just go for it!! You can do it!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Maybe start with something small - placemats are good - and using fabric that is not your absolute favourite. Although you do need to like the fabric otherwise you won't like the outcome no matter how good it is!

I love the lap quilt on the design wall. If it were me I would do two further borders - one of a larger white zigzag with the floral (? - mottled on photo) as background and then a plain using the dark blue. And I'd bind in the dark blue. Of course you may not have wanted people's opinion's on this so feel free to ignore me!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quilts don't have to be perfect, just cuddled and loved. And WELCOME to the club