Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help >

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Hello! New here and jumping in with Machine Purchase help

Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 AM

Welcome to the board. I have the Janome 8900, and it is an awesome machine! It is great for FMQ as well as all other types of sewing.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:35 AM

Congrats on making a decision and welcome to the board. I hope to one day buy the Juki 2010 to FMQ. I would like to suggest you contact the manufacture of your Viking. Let them know the issues you've had and that the dealer was unable to fix your issues. You might be surprised what they will do for you. I hope a good surprise. I too, am not close to a Juki dealer so I can go check out their machines. I'll watch your thread to see how you are getting along with the Jukies.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:34 AM

Well I have to say Janome........love love my machines......never never had a problem with it.....have had it now for 5 years and it still purrrrrrrs
Old 09-30-2015, 05:39 AM

Welcome from NE Ohio. I have the Janome 8900 and love everything about it.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

My suggestion is become a fixture in the local distributors shops. That is visit several times...view machines and test drive and ask questions, go home think it over, go back ask questions. Repeat as needed. Consider trade ins as options. I ended up buying an Ellisimo Gold II, when the Destiny came out for a great price. I also have owned a Bernina Virtuosa 153 QE. Bought it new 12 years ago and never a problem. Wherever you buy make sure they service their machines there!! Plus, you can never have too many machines a Singer featherweight is ideal for classes, retreats, travel. I would definitely have one of those either as my starter machine or for a spare.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:18 AM

Default bought a juki and never looked back

I feel your pain. I am not a sewer, I only make quilts. Back about 6 years ago I decided I would probably quilt until someone yanked the rotary cutter from my cold, dead hand. I'd previously bought 3 cheap Singer machines from Walmart that wore out within 15 months. I started searching the internet for customer reviews of machines. I didn't know enough to realize I could go into a quilting shop and test drive machines (I now consider that a blessing) I decided to purchase the Juki TL-98Q. I live in NC and could not find a Juki dealer in my state. I found a dealer in Maine who was having a Labor Day sale. I bought the machine and I still adore that baby. For a non-sewer it was easy to set up and use so I built confidence in my ability to make a good looking quilt. I have religiously cleaned my machine and it still sews like butter. I've never taken it to be serviced because it still sews just great. I have had tension issues maybe 3 times but that was my inattention to detail. I love the large harp space, the needle up/down, the presser foot tension knob (don't need a walking foot which I hate), easy to clean and oil, thread cutter button on control foot and the super fast sewing speed. I would say I'd rather have a top loading bobbin and the threading it a little different but not deal breakers. In the
last couple of years I bought Bernina Bernadette as an extra to do piecing. I hate this machine! I ended up getting a Singer Featherweight to go in the den so I can piece while hubby watches tv. This s my experience, hope it helps. And I would purchase another machine from a Sew and Vac off the web.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:51 AM

Hi again!

Dogwood Quilter, you know, that is thesad part about it. I did call Husqvarna and all they could offer mewas to ship it to TN where they will fix it and ship it back...all atmy expense of course. They would pay for nothing. When I asked themhow long it would take, I was told it could be a while depending onwhat is wrong. By a while it could be months. That is just notacceptable. Neither is paying for shipping back and forth plusrepairs. To be honest, I don't even know how I would begin topackage this up for shipping to make sure it arrived safely and notin worse shape. I review I read online actually did this option andit was horrendous. Her machine came back to her 6 months later in aUPS box literally in pieces! While I'm a skeptic of anything I readon the “net”, she is a legit quilter with website, credentials,etc. Well documented story. Anyway, I figure with the amount ofmoney for shipping packaging, the cost for a heavy item, having topay Fed Ex or UPS prices for both ways, never mind the repair costs,I'm already pretty close to a new machine with no hassles and noother surprises. Seems a shame.

Solstice3 I wish I had dealers nearbyto actually go and do this at. I don't. Sigh oh well, weshall see what comes of my decision.

Carolaiken LOL!! I'm right there withyou! I really do like to create things with fabric. I'm a quilterwho dabbles in other things on occasion. I'm primarily a quilter. Ijust want options to do other things if the need arises (like hemmingsome pants with a blind hem) or applique, which still frightens thetar out of me. I cannot get the hang of needle turn applique and myViking was just yucky at the satin stitch. It had gaps and so forth. Ugh. I'm glad to hear that your 98Q has been so great. I've readthat a lot here. It was the one just before the 2010 that I'mgetting and I don't think there is much difference between the two sothat is encouraging!

I really am so disappointed in ourTri-State area for lack of sewing machine sales and for lack of goodquality customer service. If I had the money to invest in a quiltshop with machines I would soooooooooooooo do it. I've been skunkedtwice already with the shop owner more interested in making a buckthan in getting me a machine that I really need. I hate that. Thefirst time was in SC and up here you can bet your bippy that you'llpay through the nose for either a piece of something you don't needor overpay for your dream machine. That just irks me more than I caneven say. It makes me want to say un-christian things.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:28 PM

Default Your choices

Originally Posted by boykinsmommy View Post
Well, I took the plunge! I ordered the Juki F600 AND the 2010!!!! EEEEKKKKK!!!!! Nervous, exciting and just plain crazy! Should be here by Friday! AAAGGGGHHHHH the excitement and tension is like waiting for Christmas!!!
So happy for you! Good choices
Old 09-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Good luck with your machines. I know it was a hard decision for you. post your first quilt when you made one. I can't believe 3 people from Rhode Island responded to this thread. I live near the airport in RI
Old 09-30-2015, 10:19 PM

oh how I wish there was some way to really know what is best for all of us...........I have a Bernina- the Artista 630............it is now 8 years old............for the first 6 years, it was fine....BUT for the past 2, its spent a lot of time in the repair shop...........I do sew a lot, so I know I have put many many miles on it.....BUT at over $4000 spent, I thought this one was going to last for my life time...............not so................last year, it spent time at the repair shop here (several trips back in, because it still wasn't doing good) and even got sent out of state to a really great repair shop guy.....several $$$$ later.........I finally get it back...........it behaves for about 10 months and then it all started up again.................took it in a month ago, and after 2 weeks, it was "fixed" ...........oh yeh well,NO........now its cutting up again, so it will be going back to the shop this week..........this is the local shop/ dealer for Bernina and they are supposed to know what to do , yes? anyways, after all this, I don't think I would spend that much money again for another Bernina............and I bet I end up buying a new one again, from somewhere, before too much longer.........and I have no idea what kind it would be.........I have an old Phaff from the 60s that seems like a good one...........but wonder if the new ones are good??? I hear Brother just changed hands and now is owned by some other company...............what to do?