Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Appilque Please.. >

Help with Appilque Please..

Help with Appilque Please..

Old 08-20-2016, 09:52 AM

I'm not very good with the blanket stitch yet but I find practice is the key. Just take some sample pieces & practice a lot. Also go slow. Another helpful thing I found was you tube videos. You can get tons of tips watching them. As for the thread if I use invisible, I use the YLI nylon but I'm sure there are lots of others. That is just what I bought. Also if I use cotton thread I use Aurifil. It is a little thinner or I have used my embroidery thread which is also thinner. I have just experimented, practiced & watched videos in a nutshell. Every time I think it looks a little better
Old 08-20-2016, 10:43 AM
mac

I think you are doing well, as everyone said it is 'practice, practice, practice' that makes you an expert.

I would suggest that you go back to blocks that had the 'backward' stitch and just rip out those few stitches. If after you have practiced a while you may be able to line up you sewing machine stitch and just go over those points.

Or, you can try to mimic the stitch by hand-stitching just those areas. That may be the easiest thing for you to do right now to correct those points. Since you would only have to take out those couple of stitches at the point, I am sure you can go back over it with a hand-stitch and you would not even notice it. Especially after the quilt was washed, you won't even see those places you went over.

This is just my humble opinion.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:42 PM

This woman has a series of doing machine applique--I found her to be helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gtjua_gS6Y In her 3rd video she tells why she prefers zigzag over the blanket stitch.

Last edited by MarleneC; 08-20-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:31 PM

I'd use the same stitch you're using on the blades, in black. Good luck, and remember to enjoy it.