Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with a baby quilt

Personally I would ask her to reconsider the ruffle. With as many times as the quilt will be washed, the ruffle won't hold up.
    Deb
    (If you are going to be a bear, you may as well be a grizzly.)

The ruffled binding shouldn't be hard to make at all. Basically just make the ruffle, any width you want, sew it to the edge, and cover with a binding strip. Not that I've ever done it - LOL! Anyway, here's a description with pictures of how to make it. http://blackbird-designs.blogspot.co...d-contest.html

Think I might be a little lost, but why the binding? Is that a new thing to use both? Could you not just make a ruffle, sew to front and back wrong sides together, then turn it right side out and stitch down edge so it would not roll back?

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    The ruffled binding shouldn't be hard to make at all. Basically just make the ruffle, any width you want, sew it to the edge, and cover with a binding strip. Not that I've ever done it - LOL! Anyway, here's a description with pictures of how to make it. http://blackbird-designs.blogspot.co...d-contest.html
    I love this...it is beautiful and looks pretty easy.

I love this...it is beautiful and looks pretty easy.

Maybe you could do it this way, but make the ruffle out of satin.

Power Poster
    That's a great site for the ruffled binding dunster! She makes is look easy but I think even I could do that on a quilt. I will have to file this away in case I need it someday. The other idea I thought of was, someone did a tutorial on QB about doing a scallopped/ruffled satin binding once? It was pretty.

I bet she's thinking of the ruffled satin binding you can find at some fabric stores. It is by Wright. I've seen it in only a few colors, but hopefully you can find it locally. If not, you can buy some on-line.

Pam
    Last edited by CanoePam; 03-03-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Corrected brand name

Quote Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
    I bet she's thinking of the ruffled satin binding you can find at some fabric stores. It is by Wright. I've seen it in only a few colors, but hopefully you can find it locally. If not, you can buy some on-line.

Pam
    I have used the binding with ruffle many, many times. I find it best to serge around the edge first then fit open edge of binding in the serged edge. I have done this with a polar fleece backing before also. Serging edge is the key. I find the best price on the ruffled binding at walmart ( and I buy the whole 10 yards if I can due to price savings). I have seen at Joanne fabric and have used coupon. I tend to use the white color on most baby quilts. The blue or yellow is sometimes only available in cotton fabric and I prefer the satin look and feel. Have fun with this very special quilt!

If you can't solve the problems with the ruffled binding, try a ruched binding. However, the ruffle sounds so pretty and feminine. I wish you luck.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 03-03-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast