Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt >

Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt

Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt

Old 05-22-2016, 03:14 PM

I think part of the problem is that you ironed the squares after cutting them (before sewing them) and stretched your fabric when you ironed.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM

Check the tension on your machine. top and bobbin to get it balanced with no pulls.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I do the reverse and put the white (softer/lighter weight/thinner fabric on the bottom because the feed dogs seem to be what is stretching them. I really also think a heavier weight white would really have helped you here because it's obvious your piecing is superb.

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Agree with all the wonderful advice that's already been posted. Also, might help to put the white fabric always on top when you are sewing it together with a colored fabric. That will help reduce how much the feed dogs can pull on it. I starch all my fabrics quite heavily & have had good luck with cutting & piecing by doing so.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 AM

I reread your post and something caught my eye. If you are cutting your fabric shapes, then spraying and ironing, you are probably distorting the finer thinner fabric with the heat and moisture. I always spray sizing or starch onto the yardage, then iron until nice and flat, then cut. That way the fabric is all nice and locked together. From that point on, I only press to avoid distortion. There is a big difference between ironing and pressing. There are many YouTube videos that show what the difference is. I think that will solve the problem for you. The wonderful thing about quilting, is it is always a learning process. Hugs.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
The wonderful thing about quilting, is it is always a learning process.
That's for sure! Sometimes I read something in the forum where I have to give myself a slap on the forehead. Most times it's an AHA moment. Love the sharing (both giving and receiving)
Old 05-23-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I was just wondering how soon after ironing/pressing your fabric did you start cutting (no matter the cutting tool). I usually let my fabric rest a bit after ironing/pressing. I do this by hanging it on my shower rod or if you have a long dowel rod or even a dry rack. Doesn't take long just a few minutes. Works for me. Do you set the seams before "ironing to the dark side" like Jenny Doan says? It works for me.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 AM

I agree that you should be pressing your yardage before cutting your squares. It will be a beautiful quilt!
Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 AM

I am so glad I started this thread before going any further in my piecing. I am guilty of all of the wrong things to do when ironing your fabric!

Because this quilt means so much to me, I am going to start over. I've only done 5 blocks, so it's no big deal.

First, I will buy some heavier white cotton fabric. Then I will view some tutorials on ironing for quilting.

Second, change my needle.

Third, check my machine settings. This is where I get lost the most.

Tessagin, my first block, I set the seams open and got nicely matched seams. Then I tried ironing to the dark side after watching some tutorials. I had a lot of trouble getting the seams to match doing it that way, so what works best for me is setting the seams open.

I'm off to the quilt shop!! Thanks everybody for the great tips. Keep 'em coming! I follow every one to best of my ability.

Janan
Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Ok, I'm back again. I really need your help.

I have some of the same white fabric that has not been washed or ironed. Do you think I could spray starch the fabric and then iron it correctly and still use it? Or do you think I should go buy some more white fabric?

I took one of my squares and starched it and after doing that, the fabric felt the same as my printed fabric.

I just don't want to make the whole quilt and then it wash poorly because of the different weights of cotton.

HELP!!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:38 AM

I've used lighter weight cottons mixed in with quilting cotton, and it worked fine. I don't think the lighter white will wash poorly, as long as it's a good quality fabric. I personally like the contrast in texture that the lighter fabric provides.

Yes, you should be able to use what you have, as long as you starch before cutting. Always starch first, then press and cut.

Good luck - your quilt is going to be very pretty!