Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt >

Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt

Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt

Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 AM

Default Help! Before I go any further on my Marimekko quilt

I am posting this separate from the photo thread so you can help me decide if I need to start over.

I am a novice at sewing and quilting, so stitch length, needle size, etc. remains a mystery, but I know it is all important to having a nice finished quilt.

I am building disappearing four patch blocks for my quilt, using Marimekko fabric. Marimekko has about three weights in their cottons. The prints I like the most are of the medium weight. However, the white fabric I bought is a little lighter weight. I'm not sure if this is my problem, though.

I washed all of the fabric before cutting the squares. After cutting the squares, I ironed them using spray sizing. Also, I used my new AccuQuilt Go. I think I tried cutting too many layers of fabric because the squares are not equal, like I hoped they would be. Not too big a problem, since I purposely made bigger blocks and will cut them down to equal size before I begin to sew them together.

As you can see by the pictures, the white fabric doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to adjust a setting on my machine? I try not to push or pull the fabric as it sews, but if I was guessing, that is what I am doing.

Should I iron them using spray starch?

Should I buy a heavier weight white cotton?

I appreciate your suggestions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550544[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550545[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016-05-22-10-53-25-0500.jpg   2016-05-22-10-51-08-0500.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

You might try that. I have never used anything but standard 100% cotton fabric but I think you have thought up a good suggestion. Good Luck.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

It's hard to tell from pictures, but it looks to me like your fabrics have not been fed into the machine evenly. Pinning before you sew might help. With this design the 1/4" seam is not important, so you might try using a walking foot to help the pieces feed evenly.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

First off: It's going to be a stunner.

Instead of sizing, you could use actual starch to stiffen up the white fabric. It does seem a bit thin.If you are not too far into the process, you could use a white that is equal to the thickness of the other fabrics. Otherwise, try starch.

It looks like your feed-dogs are pulling the pieces. You could tape a guide 1/4" from the center of the needle and then feed your fabric along the guide. Guides can be made from moleskin pads and some people use a pad of sticky notes. (The glue side facing the needle).

I still pin a lot - some people don't. If you don't pin, only sew about an inch at a time and make sure the layers are aligned at the edge. ALWAYS check the seam side to make sure the seam allowance didn't so something wonky. It is easier to rip and fix one small seam than notice an "off" seam in the top.

I wonder if your stitch length may be too short. Try using 2 or 2.5 mm with an 80-12 topstitch needle.

Also, go slow.

Pressing is another hot topic. I wonder if you could be over-pressing your blocks. Let the iron do the work for you by just pushing the top fabric back. Don't do the wiggely ironing motion.

That's about all I have to add. Good luck and have fun.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

When using the Go the selvage edges have to be facing you when you cut to insure accurate cuts and no stretching of the fabric. The mat may be pulling the fabric so adding a piece of paper on top of the fabric and then the mat will prevent that. I usually cut four layers at a time. If the fabric is lightweight I fuse a featherlite interfacing to the fabric before cutting no matter if I use the Go or the rotary cutter. I do this for any bias cuts too.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Wonderful tips. I admit, I got lazy about pinning when I am just piecing a block. That's the first thing I will correct. And I agree about the feed dogs pulling the pieces sort of wonky. I've been using a foot with a 1/4 inch guide, but if the pinning doesn't help, I will switch to my walking foot.

And thank you for discussing stitch length. I will make that correction as well. I will make sure my needle is 80-12.

And you hit the nail on the head when you said I was over-pressing my blocks. I think I even scorched some of my white fabric. And I am a big "wiggler". lol You must have been looking over my shoulder!

I will shoot a picture of my next block done with these measurements.

Thanks!

Janan
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Great advice about the Go. This is my first project using it and I know I didn't pay attention to where the selvage edge was.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 PM

Agree with all the wonderful advice that's already been posted. Also, might help to put the white fabric always on top when you are sewing it together with a colored fabric. That will help reduce how much the feed dogs can pull on it. I starch all my fabrics quite heavily & have had good luck with cutting & piecing by doing so.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks, Bree, another great tip!
Old 05-22-2016, 02:18 PM

I had the same problem and found I was stretching my fabric by over ironing. Once I learned the difference between ironing and pressing the issue was resolved.

Your fabric selection is awesome. I am looking forward to seeing a post of the finished quilt.