Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help: Borders Purple Hawaiin Inspired Quilt >

Help: Borders Purple Hawaiin Inspired Quilt

Help: Borders Purple Hawaiin Inspired Quilt

Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Help: Borders Purple Hawaiin Inspired Quilt

I've finished piecing and quilting the middle of a king size quilt and I need to decide the borders for it. I've attached the picture of the pieced quilt but it doesn't include the quilting. The first border will be made of the middle small 2" strip which has turtles on it. What should I do for the rest of the border? I need about 10-12" I have 2 " of each strip left and some extra strips and some purple and pink fabric. Thanks, I'm going to a quilting retreat next week and thought I would get a start on it then.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505363[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0399-med.jpg  
Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Pretty top! If all your fabric is in strips, maybe a piano key border after the turtle strip? Instead of a traditional piano key border, how about adding a bit of the dark purple from the quilt to the start and end of the strips to have them form waves along the edge to mimic the center strip design?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:03 AM

Well, that is just beautiful! I have no ideas to help you, just wanted to admire your lovely quilt!!

Dina
Old 01-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Have no idea about the borders, but wanted to say, that is just wonderful!! Please share when you finish.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

That is simply a gorgeous quilt top. I would just make a very plain border from the purple batik you used in the background of the center square and your setting corner triangles. You want your piecing to be the star of this quilt.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 PM

I have no border ideas. Your top is amazing!! Plus I love purple. How did you come up with this??
Old 01-09-2015, 11:01 PM

You could always make a border with your scraps. Sew on to adding machine paper. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...er-t56940.html and http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...er-t56933.html
Old 01-10-2015, 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may just do a fancy border on the front two corners as that is what shows when you come into the room. Piano keys sound like they might work.
I'll have to look at the string piecing website to see what that is.
The quilt also has a few purple turtles on it peeking out here and there. I guess I took the picture before I put them on. My husband and I did a house exchange to Hawaii and saw an amazing giant turtle while we were snorkeling. I wanted to make a quilt that would remind me of that holiday.

I had bought 40 2 1/2" strips of the purpley batik and I had the book on Hawaiin flower designs. In Hawaii I bought the turtle fabric. I always design my own quilts because I think that's the best part of quilting. I don't really like to piece and I thought this piecing would be easy. It wasn't for me. My quilts are always made with the motto 'It'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride"
Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 AM

I think Tartans idea would be great & really add to the design! Anything could not take away from how beautiful this quilt is!! Kudos to you!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 PM

Beautiful quilt! I would just do borders of some of the fabrics in the quilt. Audition first, but I'm thinking light, medium, dark.