Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Choosing Quilts >

Help Choosing Quilts

Help Choosing Quilts

Old 11-22-2016, 08:22 AM

You are very kind to think of making something for the children. I am sure your son will be thrilled that you are thinking of them too. How about a Warm Wishes quilt (which is an easy to make quilt) with your focus fabric in something of each of their interests. I agree with the QB members and maybe ask the children's mother about what they like. Good luck and kudos to you. Keep us posted and pictures too.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:22 AM

Fleece quilts is, I think, a great idea, especially since you are pressed for time. Once you find out what they like you can choose sports or cars or character fabrics for each.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:31 AM

I would seize the opportunity to make a great connection with the mother of these children! It is a great chance for bonding. To ask your son (nice idea) misses the mark. You are to be commended for wanting to do this but the input from someone who will be a part of your family would be a giant step in the right direction.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM

Jelly roll race 2 would be quick and you could do black grey and white with black squares for the older boy. Same for the older girl, but use bright colors for the squares. For the little girl, use pastels.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:36 AM

Last year I made a D9P with Star Wars fabric for a boy from our church who's family was moving. My husband asked if I had enough of the Star Wars fabric to make a quilt for him, too. Apparently, you can't go wrong with Star Wars, no matter what age the boy is... https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999453558219/

I recently have fallen in love with Villa Rosa Quilt patterns. I made 3 of them, at a weekend retreat. Cloud Nine went together really quickly and is great for working from your stash. And the patterns run between $2-$4 each, depending on where you buy them! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/497155246345518729/ It would be great for the older girl.

The little girl will likely love something with princesses, so buy a panel if you can and make it easy on yourself.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:09 AM

How about quillows? They fold up into a pillow when they aren't being used as a cover. I think there may even be a tutorial on Youtube. Good luck with your project.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:19 AM

I have the same thing happening at my house. My daughter's significant other is bringing his two children for the Christmas holidays. 5 & 7 I'm not as ambitious as you, I'm making them one I Spy quilt. This dovetails with the ISpy book my daughter is getting one of them. It helped that rbweise was having an ISpy swap and 80 different 5" squares are showing up at my house any day now.

Ask, Ask what they would like. Think twice about using blue and pink. Many kids aren't thrilled with that.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:30 AM

I'd do the fleece this year for a quicky....and save making a quilt for when you have more time, and know them better, and for a special occasion.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:50 AM

For the older ones, unless there is something that they are over the top involved in (fishing, a sport), I would say stick with a favorite color. If the 14 year old is a boy, a pretty safe bet is blacks and greys or the chocolate brown shades. I would do them in a very linear type pattern. This will still be appropriate as he gets older (my kids took their quilts to college with them). The youngest may have a favorite disney or marvel character you could build around. I would do them in throw size so they are 'portable'.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:07 AM

I have 2 DGS's one loves Star Wars and the other Cars. I would ask. At the age of 14, boys (girls, too) can be very picky. Also colors to match their favorites is a good idea. Better get that machine warmed up. Only a month before Christmas. Hope you reach your goal. I think that is a very good idea. A quilt is something they can use forever.
Sue