Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help in Choosing Colors for Quilts >

Help in Choosing Colors for Quilts

Help in Choosing Colors for Quilts

Old 11-20-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Help in Choosing Colors for Quilts

I have always had the same problem -- I can select three or four fabrics from my (too large) stash for a quilt, but if I need more than three or four, I freeze. Sometimes, I can't even get started. I do consult the color wheel, but I always feel that I am missing something. But I have found a way to create exciting color combinations almost without thinking.

For years, I have been compiling a loose-leaf notebook of pictures -- some of quilts (from magazines, catalogues, wherever) but other pictures are just things that caught my eye, like fabrics, interiors, nature scenes, etc. Now, when I want to make a quilt and can't figure out what colors would give it pizzazz, I consult my notebook.

Looking at pictures of furniture or clothes in fabrics that have been selected by experts -- well, those experts are doing my work for me and I put together a selection of fabrics that mimic the combinations in the picture. It has resulted in some beautiful, exciting quilts.

Does anyone else use this method? Have you been satisfied with your results? If you haven't, give it a try on your next original project!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 PM

I would just suggest my method of quilt color selection. Pick the busiest print you want to use, and pull colors from it. They have also done all the hard work of matching colors for you.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:26 PM

I also keep a binder and a pinterest folder of quilts just for the colors. I do have a color wheel, but never seem to use it. I would like to expand my color skills, but tend to do rainbow quilts over and over and over!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Very often I find that pictures of what others have done helps me a lot. It is a good system.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Unless I am making a scrappy. I pick out a print and take colors from that.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 PM

I also have a vast Pinterest folder of color-based interests: Fabric, quilts, nature photos, art, even makeup palettes! All can be inspiration when my brain fails me.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

You can also pick out your two or three colors and then dance around each one. Pull all the fabrics from your stash with each of those 3 colors and then remove ones that seem out of place.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

you might find more Two Color patterns. that usually requires some background fabric too but it would be fairly simple.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I sat in on a free lecture by Bethanne Nemish and she talked about how she does exactly as you describe. Not only for colors but for shapes, motifs and design inspiration. Her award winning quilt "October Sky" had a wonderful arched FG peicing incorporated into the design along the top of the quilt that she took inspiration from a photo she had in her notebook. She says she gets them from all over. Some she takes herself, she tears pages out of magazines, all kinds of source for her notebook. You can see pictures of her quilts here: https://www.whitearborquilting.com/portfolio/
Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM

So glad that works for you - that is called inspiration!

However, it would result in a disaster for me. My method is the 'no more than 4 fabrics, occasionally 5' in a quilt method. Why? Because I am color blind, but not completely color blind. I see color, tend to brights, high contrast and large prints, but apparently I am, as someone said to me after I explained my problem, 'shade blind'. Even when someone I trust helps me pick out fabrics, if there are more than 4 or 5, I can't make it work. My brain/vision literally can't do it.

I love 2 fabric quilts. With the right fabrics, and the right quilt pattern, they are very dramatic. There are several quits that I hated to give away, but forced myself.

Last edited by cathyvv; 11-20-2018 at 04:38 PM.