Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help choosing colors..

I am making this wallhanging for a friend and I dont think the colors are right. I used yellow for one flower and pink for the other and I think they are getting "lost" in the background. And maybe the green is too washed out? I have another green and pink I could use but I dont think they go with the outer border I've chosen, which is the pink tulip fabric. Since I only need four blocks I wanted to alternate the flower colors, pink, yellow, pink, yellow, but if I go witht the other colors then the pink is too bright and doesnt match the yellow or the border. Should I just stick with what I have done already or use the other colors and buy different border fabric? Sigh, decisions, decisions....

Trying this again...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they look light and springlike...
    I like them
    k

I think the colors are beautiful, but I think that you need more contrast, I would probably use darker colors for the flowers. My 2 cents worth.

They do kinda get lost in the background. I agree, more contrast.

I love your background fabric!!! Maybe a little darker or brighter on the flowers. But you could keep it the same and use quilting stitches to bring your flowers out more.

Banned
    i love them myself

Nice but I agree that you need more contrast. :lol:

The dark pink you have in the picture would blend nicely and at the same time give you the contrast you need. Otherwise, it just looks like 2 spikes poking up. Go with contrast!!

M

More contrast is better, but if you need to use the blocks you already made, you can outline them in a deeper color thread- rose, dark green, or even black- that will keep them separate visually. Time to try out the decorative stitches on your machine, or even using a tight zigzag or satin stitch.

Blog Entries
    I think the contrast would work ok, since the border won't be right on top of the brighter colors. Does that make sense ?
    Sharon

Izy
    Yes, I think the centre of the flowers would be better in the darker pink you have for the border :D

I like it. You can make the flowers pop more when you do the quilting. You could do a simple trapunto by putting an extra layer of batting behind the flowers and SITD around them. Then trim away the excess batting around the flowers. Do this before you sandwich it.

Another suggestion I have is to put a tiny sashing around the flowers before you put the border on to separate them from the border. Use the same fabric for the binding.

Just my 2 cents worth :-)

Blog Entries
    That will really be pretty when you finish it up. I agree with the others...you need some more contrast in the pink. The green is ok...what yellow are you using? I would need to see that with the "other" pink to see if the pink is too strong or not. If you aren't happy with the pink you have pictured, you might need to go shopping (oh...I know you hate that!)

i think the only place where more contrast is really needed is the flower centers. the background is gentle and the stems and leaves are enough darker to stand out. the flower spikes are okay, but the centers are lost. especially the yellow.

otherwise there's a very soothing springlike quality to it.

Beautiful! I like brighter contrast, too. For the flowers.