Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HELP! Clinging fabic on bamboo batting

I am using bamboo batting and batik fabric for a quilt. The batik backing clings to the batting so much that I can't seem to get it smoothed out. Has anyone had this problem and what would you do to fix it? Would fabric softener or cling free make it less clingy?

wonder if an anti static spray might help

Blog Entries
    Most of us either pin or tape the backing down, just so it is taught but not stretched first. I do this on my carpeted floor, some will use tables.
    Then lay the batting down, smooth it out. Once the batting is smooth, lay the top onto the batting and smooth it down too. :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Most of us either pin or tape the backing down, just so it is taught but not stretched first. I do this on my carpeted floor, some will use tables.
    Then lay the batting down, smooth it out. Once the batting is smooth, lay the top onto the batting and smooth it down too. :D:D:D
    I have seen this done is a video once, but I have a knee replacement and another bad one, so I can't work on the floor. I am using my cutting table, which I have to admit is not a good place.

maybe you can lay the batting down, put the back on and get it smoothed then flip it all over together

Blog Entries
    i use a folding table for doing mine. can't get on the floor either. perhaps startching your top would help a bit.

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up taking out all the safety pins and flipping it over and starting again with the backing. I gently smoothed it from the center out. Had to lift it on all sides and then work it out to the edges.

The good thing is that it will stay there while I pin it again!

I didn't have any anti-cling or static spray or I would have tried that. I considered using a spray solution of Downey and water, but decided to try that next if this disn't work.