Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: HELP?!?! bamboo batting

I purchaced a bamboo/cotton batting for a quilt and am having a horid time with the thread breaking over and over. I have changed the needles; tension, speed, everything I can think of even have talked to the quilt shop that sold it to me (I am the first to use it). I have taken the same fabric, backing and sandwiched with warn & natural using the same thread, mettler with NO problems. does anyone out there know what I can do differently. This is a quilt that will always mean so much to me. I am using the fabric line 'Lakeside Resort' by Holly Taylor from Moda. with the quilt being named Lake Miniwahwah. after the lake that my family spent most of my growing up years at and as I've worked on this quilt it has brought back so many memories but I am so upset over the multiple thread break I finally had to put it up for a while. Please Help?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mstandridge
    I purchaced a bamboo/cotton batting for a quilt and am having a horid time with the thread breaking over and over. I have changed the needles; tension, speed, everything I can think of even have talked to the quilt shop that sold it to me (I am the first to use it). I have taken the same fabric, backing and sandwiched with warn & natural using the same thread, mettler with NO problems. does anyone out there know what I can do differently. This is a quilt that will always mean so much to me. I am using the fabric line 'Lakeside Resort' by Holly Taylor from Moda. with the quilt being named Lake Miniwahwah. after the lake that my family spent most of my growing up years at and as I've worked on this quilt it has brought back so many memories but I am so upset over the multiple thread break I finally had to put it up for a while. Please Help?
    How about abandoning the bamboo batting and going back to something you know will work?

Save the bamboo batting for another project - maybe a smaller one?

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Do you have the quilt too tight in the quilting frame? There was another quilter on here that was having the same problem (different batting though) she was told that there needs to be some "give" to allow the machine to move smoothly over the quilt.
    Hope this helps.
    :-D

Blog Entries
    Maybe try a needle with a larger eye?

Blog Entries
    Make a sample quilt sandwich with a piece of the batting and practice on it until you get everything sewing right. I've read where a lot of machine quilters have problems with the bamboo batting. I think it's what is added to it that makes some different then others. I bought some bamboo/cotton batting and it is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Quote Originally Posted by mstandridge
    How about abandoning the bamboo batting and going back to something you know will work?

Save the bamboo batting for another project - maybe a smaller one?
    already have more than half of the quilt, quilted, no turning back now. But I will go back to my warm & natural, or even 80/20 battingjust so much easier to work with. but the over all feel of the quillt it great.

Power Poster
    Didn't know you had that much of it done.

Hope you figure out what the problem(s) were.

I am using Bamboo now but I am hand quilting . No problems , needle goes through easily . No problem with thread but I use Thread Heven on the thread.

I've used bamboo batting a few times, and never had a problem. I wouldn't think what we got over here was any different to yours. I used it because it's warmer, and was 50% off the day I got it.