Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Spray basting bottom, batting, and top and then putting on frame

I would like to know how many people have put all their layers together and then put it on a frame to machine quilt. I would love to do this as it seems that it might stay together better but I dont want to ruin my quilt. Anyone out there that has had any luck with this?

Using a frame means not having to baste. The different rollers that you mount the top, backing & batting to are supposed to keep everything even & taut. I have only used basting spray on the frame to help control wonky borders and to hold the leading edge down flat while I machine baste the quilt top to the batting & backing.

Blog Entries
    If you spray the layers and then mount it on the frame, then as you roll the quilt up on the frame the spraybaste is going to cause buckling in your layered quilt sandwich.

Not having to pin baste or spray baste was the reason I got me frame. The plus was how fun it is to quilt now.

I was afraid that the material would shift. I saw a couple videos where they did that and I didnt know if it worked. Thanks for all the input!! I am going to put the backing on the leaders and then float the top and batting. Wish me luck!!!

Blog Entries
    I watch the layout of the whole thing as I go along, even checking underneath visually to see that no puckers have snuck in, and eyeballing the alignment of the top and the batting every time I advance on the frame,
    having learned all this the hard way ("Ask me how I know to ....",
    and it really helps avoid problems.