Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help creating a pattern >

Help creating a pattern

Help creating a pattern

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Help creating a pattern

Hi all!!

My son, who is in Afghanistan, called me today! It's been rough him being over there, but he sometimes gets to call a couple times a month. I LOVE to hear his voice and talk to him about all things. Today, however, after chatting for a few minutes, said "Oh I thought of the perfect quilt you can make me! It's got the Hylian Shield and on the corners it has the Triforce!! Oh PLEASE tell me you can make me that!!" I was pleasantly surprised because he's shown little interest in my quilting thus far. Of course the first thing I had to do was Google both. http://www.heavenlyswords.com/produc...roductid=16404 and http://www.zeldawiki.org/Triforce. He LOVES (since he was 10 years old) The Legend of Zelda. In fact, before he deployed, he bought the GameBoy and the game so he'd have it to play while over there. lol! Okay so it makes sense to me that his dream quilt would be Zelda inspired.

HOWEVER, I am ONE MILLION PERCENT a follow a pattern girl. I have NO creativity in me whatsoever with regards to being able to create something like this. I have thought of applique, but even that I can't imagine. I've not even DONE applique yet. Can anyone please help me to create a pattern? He is HOPEFULLY going to be home for Christmas if his unit doesn't get extended, and I would LOVE to be able to have this for him.

Thanks all!!!!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Applique is really not that difficult if you do it with one of the many iron on products out there. Find a picture. Size it. Trace it. Cut out the pieces and then use a very tight zig zag stitch around it all.

I think I would keep this very simple. Get the shield blown up really big and use it as a center panel. You could add borders that were either pieced or plain being sure to end up with the triforce in all four corners.

This is totally possible even if you have never done applique.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Can you trace a line drawing of what he wants then take it too Office Max or a print shop and have them enlarge it to the size you want. not sure of the copyright laws but if for yourself (family) and you are not selling or putting in a quilt show I see no problems. You can also check the internet for " line drawing of (what ever)" and several usually show up.
You could do the enlarged pic as a "shadow" in black or a high contrast color to your background color. Good luck. Hope you get some other ideas.

OOPS! Lisa was a faster typer.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM

So there's not going to be an easy way to do this without applique right? So I'll do it applique, but I still would greatly appreciate design help. I found this http://protowing.deviantart.com/art/...hield-43930076 and will take it to the store to have it blown up. So then do I just go buy fabric to match colors and cut it out accordingly? But what kind of quilt would I put it on? I'm sorry guys, I'm just still so new to quilting and design is NOT my forte.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

Pick a background color you think he would like and that looks nice with the colors of the shield. Cut the background fabric whatever size you want it to be. It could be square or a rectangle depending on the size of the quilt you want it to be. Buy fabric in the colors of the shield. You will use the picture to cut the pieces for the shield.

I'm pretty decent at applique and am confident you can do this. Feel free to PM me if you think I can help. I did a "custom" quilt for my son last year, too. I know how important these things are to a mom.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Depending on how large you are going with it...if large for a center focus I think I would iron on steam a seam or similar to fabric of choice.. If diff. colors trace each piece on the paper side of steam a seam or similar. Then iron each piece to the color of choice....VERY VERY carefully cut each section out and place as you would a puzzle..iron down and if a quilt, zig zag or satin stitch around each raw edge.... I am currently doing Snoopy Flying Ace for my son who will be deployed again to Afganisan in Jan or Feb. Snoopy is in the center and each corner has a different "shadow" of fighting men in the air, on the ground or planes and tanks....Everything else is kept as background so not too busy of fabric for that. For quilting I plan on clouds and shadow quilting around designs. Good luck and if you take your time you will be fine.....don't get too discouraged as he will love it no mater what you may think when finished....Bet you will love it to!
Old 09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Yes, just buy fabric to match colors. Be careful of the brand of fusible you use. I personally would recommend Misty Fuse because it does not change the hand of the fabric.

Basically, decide on the background fabric. Buy fabrics to match the colors for the shield. Fuse Misty to the *wrong* side of the shield fabrics. (Use parchment paper to protect your iron and board.) I would then trace the shield onto freezer paper and iron the freezer paper to the *right* side of the shield fabric. Then I would cut freezer paper pattern and fused fabric out together with a good pair of scissors. Once you have all of the shield pieces cut out, remove the freezer paper, place them on the background fabric, and iron to secure them in place (again using parchment paper for protection).

Once everything is fused, you want to sew all the edges. You can zigzag around all of the edges, or straight stitch inside the edges (which will allow the edges to eventually fray with washing), or you can blind hem stitch around the edges. You can choose to use an invisible thread (I like YLI nylon monofilament), or you can use regular thread.

Alternatively, you can wait until the quilt is sandwiched and simply stitch around and/or over all of the applique edges as part of the quilting.

Google Misty Fuse and other fusibles to see some step-by-step pictures of how to fuse for quilting. If you don't use Misty Fuse (often only available online; I got mine from Amazon), my second-choice recommendation would be Steam-a-Seam Light (widely available in JoAnn's). Some fusibles cannot be stitched through, and some stiffen the applique fabric a lot; avoid those.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Yes, just buy fabric to match colors. Be careful of the brand of fusible you use. I personally would recommend Misty Fuse because it does not change the hand of the fabric.

Basically, decide on the background fabric. Buy fabrics to match the colors for the shield. Fuse Misty to the *wrong* side of the shield fabrics. (Use parchment paper to protect your iron and board.) I would then trace the shield onto freezer paper and iron the freezer paper to the *right* side of the shield fabric. Then I would cut freezer paper pattern and fused fabric out together with a good pair of scissors. Once you have all of the shield pieces cut out, remove the freezer paper, place them on the background fabric, and iron to secure them in place (again using parchment paper for protection).

Once everything is fused, you want to sew all the edges. You can zigzag around all of the edges, or straight stitch inside the edges (which will allow the edges to eventually fray with washing), or you can blind hem stitch around the edges. You can choose to use an invisible thread (I like YLI nylon monofilament), or you can use regular thread.

Alternatively, you can wait until the quilt is sandwiched and simply stitch around and/or over all of the applique edges as part of the quilting.

Google Misty Fuse and other fusibles to see some step-by-step pictures of how to fuse for quilting. If you don't use Misty Fuse (often only available online; I got mine from Amazon), my second-choice recommendation would be Steam-a-Seam Light (widely available in JoAnn's). Some fusibles cannot be stitched through, and some stiffen the applique fabric a lot; avoid those.
Prism glad you mentioned Misty Fuse.....,.my mind went blank and couldn't think of the name. I also like it better due to the softness it leaves in the fabric, especially for a quilt.
Think you explained it better...
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Why not go to a LQS and ask for help there (for a fee) of course. They may be able to do the basic planning for you and show you how to complete it step by step. Sometimes stores have open sewing classes where you can bring any project you want and they will help you along through your project. If tackling this is to much for you it is worth a try.

good luck any way you choose and sending you a big huge hug and a thank you for your son.

peace to all
Old 09-12-2012, 05:17 PM

Okay, so do you think this would work? Only in the middle I'd leave it 'blank' and applique the shield there, and in the corners I'd do a block (or applique) the Triforce thing. Great idea to use the colors in the shield for the other colors. That WOULD be easy! Thank you guys SOOOOOOO much for your help! I am actually thinking I MAY be able to do this!! This pattern, with obviously my own colors..... and actually, maybe I WOULD use it with black... I don't know. http://www.connectingthreads.com/cfT...ations&isKit=1