Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with designing studio >

Help with designing studio

Help with designing studio

Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by UglyCook
I think if I was designing from scratch I'd put in a walk in closet for my stash.
I agree. Protects from light.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

10x12 up to 12x20 I think a L shape might be nice too. You want something that is roomy but also fun to be in. Lots of natural light and storage.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM

How can I get the most usable space without breaking the bank?
-----------------------------------
Look into getting to know someone who designs for ships, yachts, mobile homes, and RVs. In these there is a massive amount of storage that you would never dream of until someone showed you. My sister and her DH lived in one for years after they retired, and I never tired of seeing where she could stash stuff. From the bed itself capable of being raised for underneath storage, to roll top desk like covers over storage over doors and windows, all over the place. Just visit someone or look at RVs online and check out all the storage there.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:39 PM

I'm even planning on my living room having built in storage under all the windows.
------------------------------------
There're called Window Seats, and are in most of the more expensive decorating mags nowadays. They are also rather old fashioned, which is good because the older houses had very little storage. Usually they have the seats which have doors under them, or else the cushions come up and you can pull up lids to the storage underneath. I would suggest the doors or sliding doors myself, since I have a Persian that sheds all over the house and pulling the cushions up all the time delights the cats!. The sides of the windows are generally book cases, but even then they can have drawers built into them, later if you can't afford them right now.
Shelves to the roof on one side in closets. Closets around the outside of the walls for added insulation, built flat so you could hang over them a giant quilt for checking last minute details.
The same with a big flannel area.
Makes me want to have something like that to build...not that it'll ever happen but I love to dream.

AND LIGHTS, LIGHTS, LIGHTS. Can't say enough about light. Paint the room some bright, light color that will reflect artificial lights.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:23 AM

I have a gorgeous stand alone (1/3 of huge garage) built with all the bells and whistles, don't forget room for a little fridge and seating for visitors. All my friends stop over to visit in the studio!! No matter how big you make it...it will be too small!! LOL...We are picky people,us quilters!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

I love the room repurposed from the garage! Nice job. No matter how big you make your new spaces, they will eventually be too small. Make the new rooms so they can be repurposed when you eventually sell the house. I sew in a room that has a rolling door and I can look into the rest of the house and am not excluded from what is happening there but my cutting/stash room is to the side of that room so that nobody can look in there without intentionally going to the door. I can leave a mess as long as I want!--(usually longer).
Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
20' x 20' sounds about right.....just kidding! It's not how big, just a comfortable space to make you happy :lol:
Too, too funny...that's the dimensions of my sewing studio! My DH and I were able to build our dream home about 4 years ago. The room has gi-normous windows that overlook the lake we live on too. Plus I have a long-arm/home quilting set up room right behind that one. No long-arm or home quilting set-up. I have to finish school first.
Now, I realize that not everyone can have this much space. I'm spoiled and know it!
One whole wall is all fabric and kit stash--with barn like slider doors that cover it (protect against light and dust). Another whole wall (and part of another) in the 20 by 20 room is shelving for books, another wall (over-looking the lake) is for huge L-shaped desk that I have. Oh yeah, I have enough room here for at least two quilters, possibly three to stitch all at the same time. I'm such a brat, I know.
:wink: :wink:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by DebbyT
Originally Posted by UglyCook
I think if I was designing from scratch I'd put in a walk in closet for my stash.
I agree. Protects from light.
My DH build shelving on on wall top to bottom to house my stash, then we found slider type barn door mechanisms and huge 6 feet by 6 feet beaded board wood to use with them. This whole business protects my stash from light and dust.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by SuziC
20' x 20' sounds about right.....just kidding! It's not how big, just a comfortable space to make you happy :lol:
No, she is pretty accurate about this size. You will be surprised at how quickly you fill the space up.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 PM

My sewing room is small but the closet in it is quite big. That's a bonus. I also put in three ceiling canned lights in addition to the fan/light fixture. For evening sewing the extra lights make a huge difference.