Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help with designing studio

I love the room repurposed from the garage! Nice job. No matter how big you make your new spaces, they will eventually be too small. Make the new rooms so they can be repurposed when you eventually sell the house. I sew in a room that has a rolling door and I can look into the rest of the house and am not excluded from what is happening there but my cutting/stash room is to the side of that room so that nobody can look in there without intentionally going to the door. I can leave a mess as long as I want!--(usually longer).

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    20' x 20' sounds about right.....just kidding! It's not how big, just a comfortable space to make you happy :lol:
    Too, too funny...that's the dimensions of my sewing studio! My DH and I were able to build our dream home about 4 years ago. The room has gi-normous windows that overlook the lake we live on too. Plus I have a long-arm/home quilting set up room right behind that one. No long-arm or home quilting set-up. I have to finish school first.
    Now, I realize that not everyone can have this much space. I'm spoiled and know it!
    One whole wall is all fabric and kit stash--with barn like slider doors that cover it (protect against light and dust). Another whole wall (and part of another) in the 20 by 20 room is shelving for books, another wall (over-looking the lake) is for huge L-shaped desk that I have. Oh yeah, I have enough room here for at least two quilters, possibly three to stitch all at the same time. I'm such a brat, I know.
    :wink: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by DebbyT
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    I think if I was designing from scratch I'd put in a walk in closet for my stash.
    I agree. Protects from light.
    My DH build shelving on on wall top to bottom to house my stash, then we found slider type barn door mechanisms and huge 6 feet by 6 feet beaded board wood to use with them. This whole business protects my stash from light and dust.

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    20' x 20' sounds about right.....just kidding! It's not how big, just a comfortable space to make you happy :lol:
    No, she is pretty accurate about this size. You will be surprised at how quickly you fill the space up.

My sewing room is small but the closet in it is quite big. That's a bonus. I also put in three ceiling canned lights in addition to the fan/light fixture. For evening sewing the extra lights make a huge difference.

Think about what you are going to put in your sewing room then add 12 to 20 more feet. I like big rooms.

Having been an Interior Designer for the past 35 years, start with an inventory of all the things you want to include in the room, Machines you own or plan to own, storage requirements in linear feet (think vertically here), work/cutting table, will it be permanent or folding. Etc! Once you have the needs switch mode to the nice to haves including how you want the room to look, ie windows, doors etc. Start with a list of everything you can imagine, then see how much you can fit in without getting too large, consider zoning the room into 2 sections, one for sewing, and one for other activities and how they will work together. Will the furnishings be built in (less flexible affects resale someday) or will you use furnishings that can be moved around. Rectangular rooms such as 12 x 18 , 20, 24 work well. The more time you spend planning the more efficient and wonderful the room will be. Good Luck, sounds wonderful already!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie
    Try putting it on graph paper, deciding the size of cupboards, tables, ironing surface and a cutting area and then add walking room.
    I think this is the way to do it. Decide on your furniture, built ins, etc. Make a diagram/ That will tell you what your space needs are need.

A lot will depend on how much fabric you have, how many machines, and if you plan to have a LA in the room. Sometimes too big is as bad as too small.

Blog Entries
    I got the book "Creating your perfect quilting space" sewing room makeovers for any space and budget,by Lois L. Hallock, and it is full of wonderful ideas! and there are some really great sewing rooms right here on the board, just do a serch of sewing rooms or studios, good luck

My husband built on a 12x24 room for my sewing space and said you will never fill this one up!! Well he finished it in July and I got moved in it in August and its full,LOL
    He laughed and said oops,but we didnt have roon to go wider but he said maybe next year he can go longer,I have a longarm in there too so that took up room. But I love it!!! Its better than my little 10x 11 room I was in. But go bigger if you can.PS dont forget a closet!! We did.

Give yourself a nice big design wall with no cabinets, shelves, etc. I use a Block Butler, and I love it, but you do need a space for that. Sometimes it loses its stick, but I just spray it with water, and it comes right back. Whatever you decide, you'll want a blank wall to use.

HeeHee! As big as you can make it. I have a friend who has a big ne and she has it set up with a small kitchen so she can make coffee and tea, warm up something in a small microwave, etc. She also has two comfy chairs so her hubby can come and watch TV and visit with her while she is sewing or doing hand work. She has a special spot for all her sewing machines because she invites gals over for a sewing fest. She has a large walk in closet for all her fabric and big bookshelves under a window for all her books. she has a blanket on the lower shelf where a heat vent is so her kitty can sleep there anytime she wants, which is often. Big design wall also. Jan

There is a free design web site called Sketchup.com I haven't tried it but saw it ona DIY program called This New House. Looks interesting and perhaps worth a look.

One thing to make sure of is outlets, at least 2 on every wall.

Lucky, lucky woman! Lots of good ideas here. Inventory and measure what you have and what you'd like to have. We've designed and built two homes; both times I used graph paper and furniture templates to the same scale for my furniture placement. Let's me know where to put doors, windows, etc.

Also consider electrical outlets at table top height for easy access.

I'm dreaming and scheming for my own sewing area (fell to the budget axe when we built :-< ) so this is very interesting to me!

One of the things I've been thinking about is a way to screen at least part of my mess from visitors - maybe face the back of my machine to the door/sitting area with a partial height wall.....plus I like to know when someone comes in (my back is to the door now and my husband thinks it's very funny to sneak up on me - yikes!). I also prefer my natural light coming from the side rather than facing a window or having my back to it.....

Track lighting!!

i have to say go big since you can do whatever you want.

i'd go for a minimum of 16x20 and as large as 25x30.

As big as you can afford. You will soon fill it.

Blog Entries
    The best Idea I had for mine was to purchase upper kitchen cupboards to mount in the corner of my sewing room. I had them mounted on the walls, and set up my ironing board below them at an angle to the corner. It is the busiest part of the room, and gives me a spot to set fabric, out of the cupboards, as I search for just the right piece. I want to add more of them.

Mine is 20x30, and is packed with stuff. It was built for a watercolor artist, so has 7 windows and 3 skylights. I would prefer fewer windows so as to have more wall space. I like all the light but worry about fabric fading. I would recommend at least a half bath for you and hubby to share. I also like a place to heat water for beverages. Started with a dorm frig, but decided against it. At least partly smooth floor. Mine is on a slab, and it gets cold, so one half is carpeted. Messy tho', with lots of vacuuming to clean up both smooth and carpeted sides. Have fun dreaming and making it reality! Lucky you

I haven't read everything yet [because if I did, I would forget my trend of thought :o). I would consider how much space is needed to store everything I have right now, then plan to put in a little more -- or a lot-- than I already have. I'm sure all of the other ideas are great. I would consider a small bathroom if none is close by.

Quote Originally Posted by louster388
    We converted my hubby's old garage into a wonderful studio for me. It is 20x20. The only think missing is a bathrrom but then if there was one I would never leave!
    I ahve a few pics attached......
    Ho do you manage it in winter? Is it insulated and heated? I worry about humidity effecting the machine.

Blog Entries
    We are in the process of "doing" my studio. It is about 28 feet by 28 feet with an adjacent kitchen (where we make wine), an adjacent guest room and full bathroom. Once it is completed (if it occurs in my lifetime) it will have a 12 foot floor to ceiling closet with shelves and some old dressers that I have painted white (reflects light better) so I can store my stash there. I will also have a rolling table (for cutting and pressing) 5 feet by 9 feet with storage below (a place for rolls of batting and cabinets on each end to hold smaller items. I also have the cabinets from an old kitchen painted a light color and a closet for hanging garments as they are being made. There will be about 15-20 feet of counter space along another wall with dropped down areas to hold my machines at the proper level. The counter is to be supported (partially, at least) by more old dressers cut to the right height and painted a pretty blue to which I plan to add a pearlescent glaze. I will also have a TV, hide-a-bed, recliners, end tables and reading lamps. My problem (I know, it sounds like I don't have any except that it isn't complete yet) is what kind of lighting and where I should place it. I live in Florida so I'll have 2-3 ceiling fans with lights. I'm thinking of two tiers of shelves for books,ets. above the sewing machine counter area and putting Ott lights under the lower shelf. Do any of you use track lights and if so, do they create a lot of heat? The air conditioning in this area of our house isn't real great. I have looked into the new LED track lights but it seems they don't really give the best/most useful light for this type of application. Any ideas?

Dee
    Beautiful sewing studio.

Great rooms. I wish there were more space for my design hanging thingy.

all this talk has me suffering from a serious case of the green!!! :lol:

i'm making a cutting table this week - will have pictures later, but i'd settle for getting stuff all in once place...Sewing room in one place, cutting table in another, iron in another and quilt frame in the office next to the computer & TV.

although, the rest of the stuff is in the basement and this time of the year, it does get cold. Some day, maybe i'll finish the basement.....way way way down the road!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2