Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm so sorry that your daughter doesn't get it. It may be too late for her and she'll regret it. Keep on doing what you want and enjoy doing. It's your time and money that's being used. Join a guild, donate to Hospice groups or local hospital children's ward, foster program, nursing homes, there's so many people that would LOVE to have a quilt to comfort them in their time of need.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM

I hope that your daughter we come to appreciate all the time/love you put into your quilts. Don't let anyone take away your shine!!!! Do what you love as it will make you happy.
There are many organizations that would love to have your quilt. Just check with your county and they can refer you to someone. Keep on Quilting!!!!! :-D
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM

There are so many people who would love one of your quilts. Look for them and watch their face light up with joy.... and it will make you happy too!! God gave you this talent! Sorry your daughter does not share in your love of quilts but please don't let that stop you from enjoying quilting! I'm sending you a big HUG. We quilters understand you.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.
Don't be upset by your daughter's opinion. You have your own life to live and your own decisions to make. If you like quilting, my dear, keep at it. It doesn't matter that you don't know who will get it. I donate to a Veteran's hospital and to a children's hospital, the Lioness. It makes me feel good, just to know that someone will be warm because of me. God love you! Keeping going----the best is yet to come. I know, I have 2 daughters you won't speak to me. As soon as I acceptede the fact I havn't done anything wrong, I feel just fine and go about my own business. I would say your daughter is quite insensitive to your feelings. Give her a kick, you know where, and tell her to mind her own business.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Love what you do and do what you love. Keep quilting.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 PM

I'd say keep doing what you love doing and wisdom does come with age, even in daughters! I used to think I didn't want my mother's antiques and collectibles, but now that I'm older and she's gone, they are a treasure to me.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:45 PM

I, too, spent too much for fabric for a crib quilt and with no one to give it to. Then, 2 years later, I hadn't made the quilt, but I found the little boy, 1 1/2 years old, that should have this quilt. I then rushed to make it and was happy to give it to him. His foster mom was happy, too. SOOO, just make the quilt, and in time, there will be a very special someone that you can give it to.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 PM

I have found that there is always a need for quilts,people are flooded out,burned out. Hospice,hospitals,Vets ,children in need, homeless just to name a few, I have given to most of these at one time or another. As well as birthday,Christmas or aniversery gift. Jo