Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with eq7 please >

Help with eq7 please

Help with eq7 please

Old 10-24-2015, 10:12 AM

Default Help with eq7 please

I may be asking the impossible!!!! But I will try to explain what I would like to do. I built this quilt in eq7
the block are finished at 10 inches. My question is about the star. Is there a way to use 2 different size blocks with this program on the same quilt. I would like the star to be smaller maybe use it as a panel if I'm explaining it correct. And the center of the star one block not 4 blocks to make the center. Where in program would I go to find this. I know I could do it by trial and error but the program would give me my measurements. I hope I have explained this clearly.
thank you all for your help
loretta
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by lb70542; 10-24-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 AM

You can create the center in "layout" to whatever size you want, then add "block" borders for all additional rows. Just make sure the size of the center is divisible by the size of the outer blocks so they remain square, if that makes sense?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by lb70542 View Post
Is there a way to use 2 different size blocks with this program on the same quilt.
Yes.

While working on the quilt (not the block): click quilt: new quilt: custom set. Click and drag the block you want from the sketchbook over to the quilt, then click on the adjust button (second from the top on the right, looks like a diamond with dotted lines), then click on the block. You can adjust it by either click-and-drag on the corners or sides of the block, or you can play with the numbers at the top of the page. The first set of numbers dictates where on the quilt the block is placed; the second set of numbers dictates how tall and wide the block is.

Hope this helps.

FYI - EQ has an excellent forum for any of your questions.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:00 AM

It can be done this way also, but for a beginner "custom set" can be quite daunting. I've done a lot of "panel" type quilts and adding boders to a center layout is much simpler & quicker. Just use "layout", change number of blocks to "1" and then determine the size you want (this will always be the "finished" block size, actual block when completed will be 1/2" larger each direction. Add borders in the "borders" tab and you are ready to start adding your blocks on layer 1.

"Peckish" is also correct that EQs website as well as your program "search" feature as well as "video tutorials" are a great way to figure out how to use it to its full capabilities.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Yes.

While working on the quilt (not the block): click quilt: new quilt: custom set. Click and drag the block you want from the sketchbook over to the quilt, then click on the adjust button (second from the top on the right, looks like a diamond with dotted lines), then click on the block. You can adjust it by either click-and-drag on the corners or sides of the block, or you can play with the numbers at the top of the page. The first set of numbers dictates where on the quilt the block is placed; the second set of numbers dictates how tall and wide the block is.

Hope this helps.

FYI - EQ has an excellent forum for any of your questions.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

WOW, even I didn't know this. I normally just print out the pattern and use liquid white out to erase any lines I don't want. Sometimes I have made one block (Star block) and put the log cabin blocks in as a pieced border.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:41 AM

I understand what you're saying but based on the OP's picture, she will not be able to create the quilt she wants using your instructions. She has 2 rows of blocks at the top and bottom, but only one row on the sides. You can add as many borders as you'd like, but EQ will add a border to every side.

I still think the best way is custom-set.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:01 PM

I played around with the custom set and came up with both of these in a matter of minutes. Loretta wanted a smaller center star, so I did that while maintaining the overall size of the quilt. The most "daunting" part was setting the log cabin blocks in their proper positions, which wasn't daunting at all; just repetitive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534021[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534022[/ATTACH]

eta: Found a boo-boo!

Okay, if you look closely, you can see one of the blocks didn't align properly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534023[/ATTACH]

How to fix: Click the adjust button (red arrow). Click on the block you want to adjust or align. I want to move the block's position on the quilt. If you look at the pink arrow, it's pointing to the positional coordinates. The block should be at 10.00" and 20.00", but as you can see, it's at 20.25". I can either manually type in 20.00, or I can click the little ◄ button, which will bring it back to 20.00.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534024[/ATTACH]

See? Wasn't that easy?
Attached Thumbnails loretta-1.jpg   loretta-2.jpg   loretta-oops-part-1.jpg   loretta-oops-part-2.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 10-24-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

Another possible layout - but you will need to use your imagination for the details
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-star.jpg  
Old 10-24-2015, 02:07 PM

I love the minds of quilters.....you blow me away with your expertise.

Makes me think I should get out my EQ7 and learn it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I understand what you're saying but based on the OP's picture, she will not be able to create the quilt she wants using your instructions. She has 2 rows of blocks at the top and bottom, but only one row on the sides. You can add as many borders as you'd like, but EQ will add a border to every side.

I still think the best way is custom-set.
Hi Peckish,

You can set the border size for left and right to 0 for one of the borders; that gives you one border on the sides but two on the top and bottom. I love my EQ!

Lynda