Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help--fons and porter red chalk and frixion pen >

help--fons and porter red chalk and frixion pen

help--fons and porter red chalk and frixion pen

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 PM

Default help--fons and porter red chalk and frixion pen

I took 5 grandkids, 2 boys and 3 girls, ages 9 to 13 1/2, to my guild's 2nd Kid's Quilt Camp all week last week. We all had a great time! They each made some small projects on Monday and Tuesday-pillow case, 9 patch pillow, tissue holder. Wednesday thru Friday they each made a simple lap quilt-4 patch alternating with a whole block. The 2 oldest worked together on each other's quilts while I was busy helping the other 3 and with direction from another quilter/volunteer began marking the 11 year old boy's quilt. The volunteer directed them to F&P chalk roller in red which the 13 1/2 year old girl used and some frixion pens-he chose the black. You know what's coming, don't you!?! After he quilted the diagonal lines, the red chalk didn't come out by brushing, nor with water! Another volunteer helped him scrub the lines with dish soap and I brought it home and rinsed it with plain cool water and air dried it. We could see before rinsing that some of the red was coming out and after rinsing it looks better, but it's very obviously still there in places. Also, I hesitated to put an iron onto the frixion pen lines for fear of setting the red chalk so they were still visible when I rinsed the quilt and are still there after it air dried. Any suggestions based on similar experience? If I hit the black lines from the frixion pen with an iron now after rinsing, will they disappear? The kids are so excited to get so much done and they all are entering the items they made into our local fair. I really want him to be able to enter his quilt with the others, but he doesn't want to if we can't get all the marks out. Thanks for any help!
Old 08-10-2015, 12:01 AM

The frixion will come out when you use the iron. But I would be worried if any red remained. Why use 2 methods on one item?
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

Make sure the red chalk is completely gone before adding any heat. Good luck getting coloured chalk out, I have never had any luck removing it. So sorry this has happened to his project!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

May sound odd but I've had great luck using mascara remover to remove stains from fabric.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

I would spritz the chalk lines with shout & launder the quilt. The heat from the dryer should remove the frixion marks
Old 08-10-2015, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Wow, that's sad. If there is any way you could get hold of the markers and duplicate the marks on a fabric scrap, that would be the safest way to experiment. I would avoid using the dryer until the chalk is removed for fear of heat setting the stain.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

There have been numerous posts warning about using red, blue or yellow powder chalk. In the future, please read the directions. I doubt if there is anything to get the red chalk line out. Sorry, I sitll have blue chalk lines in a quilt I made a few years ago. I used Clover Blue chalk. Someone else posted that they couldn't get the yellow chalk off their quilt after numerous washings.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
The frixion will come out when you use the iron. But I would be worried if any red remained. Why use 2 methods on one item?
Granddaughter and grandson were both marking the same quilt and the volunteer helped them get started before I could get to them and change anything. They had most of it marked by the time I was able to see how they were doing. I definitely would not have used either the chalk or the frixion pen. Have read too many problems with the pens as well.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
There have been numerous posts warning about using red, blue or yellow powder chalk. In the future, please read the directions. I doubt if there is anything to get the red chalk line out. Sorry, I sitll have blue chalk lines in a quilt I made a few years ago. I used Clover Blue chalk. Someone else posted that they couldn't get the yellow chalk off their quilt after numerous washings.
I didn't give them the chalk or pen to use. I would have used something else.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM

I sent an email to F&P asking the same question. This is the answer they sent-I will give it a try.

Aug 10, 14:18

Here are some methods to help with getting the marks out:
1) Mix some SHOUT Ultra Gel with some water to make it smooth and then apply to pencil marks with a Q-Tip or small mascara brush. Gently rub and work it in. Air dry
overnight and NO marks from the solution or pencil marks are visible (or almost gone/not noticeable). This works on 100% cotton fabrics.
2) Mr. Clean eraser works well at getting the marks out also.

From the manufacturer:

The most common cause for this is that the pencil was not tested on the fabric before using or to much pressure was applied to make the mark.

We recommend testing because there are more sizings and finishes on fabrics today than ever before. These prevent dust and debris from penetrating the fibers.

When the marks penetrate the sizing, they are equally hard to remove. Therefore, testing is the best way to determine this and avoid problems.

Secondly, if you make the marks to dark, it makes it harder to remove them. If the marks are pressed over or even rubbed they go deeper in the fibers.

When a needle penetrates them, they also get under the thread and it is hard to reach them. Starching the fabric can also inhibit the marks. Starching over the marks
only coats them and you have to soak them; but, on the other hand, if you starch and then mark, it sometimes makes the marks easier to remove.

Soaking, erasing and brushing are all things that can help. It depends on the fabric type, the color of the fabric and how it was used.

When the marks are colors, it is certainly harder to remove them.