Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help!!! getting mildew out

Blog Entries
    Found the following information after doing a search. Vinegar is mentioned, murphy oil soap and also Listerine. Interesting.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/07/07jul16a.cfm

Wrong time of year for this, but on a warm sunny day, lay the quilt on a grassy spot, leave overnight, turn over, leave another day. The warm sun, the morning dew and the chlorophyll from the grass has a bleaching effect. Sounds incredible, but it works!
    Cosy
    A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever
    http://www.cosyquilt.com

Will be interested in hearing what works. Lost a lot of linens during a move due to a leaky storage area and I could kill the mildew with bleach, but could not get the black stains out no matter what I did.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Don't know for sure if this would work or not it does for scortched fabric. Squeeze fresh lemon on it and put in sun. Can't hurt to try. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Pine Sol has worked for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by lsnre View Post
    Can anyone offer suggestions for getting mildew out of cotton quilting fabric? I can't use chlorine bleach! A friend suggested soaking the fabric in BIZ or Oxyclean. I have ruined about 8 inches on both salvage edges!!! Thanks for any ideas or methods you have used that worked. lsnre
    THANKS SO MUCH FOR EVERYONE'S HELP.
    I tried soaking in Oxiclean overnight. Almost all came out. The stain is gone and fabric looks like new. Soaked some of the pieces again overnight and got out all but one area on a separage piece. I WONDER IF THIS HAS KILLED THE MILDEW OR IF I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT COMING BACK? DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THAT?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2