Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  Have I ruined my irons?? >

Help! Have I ruined my irons??

Help! Have I ruined my irons??

Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM

if it is not teflon, I use steelwool. It seem to take most stuff off. Then heat the iron up and run it over wax paper.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
I have been felting wool and decided a really good steaming would be in order-----only I forgot to turn my iron down to "wool". I now have little melted bits of wool on the bottom of two irons. I've tried Spray and Wash, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and just plain elbow grease. I am now reading the back of a can of oven cleaner. Anybody got any ideas???
Faultless Hot Iron Cleaner. Found @ Walmart.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Try warming and wiping with a vinegar laden rag. I used to have problems like that, till I bought the T FAL, nothing sticks to that plate.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 PM

JoAnn's carries an iron cleaner you just put a spot on a clean washcloth and iron the stuff off. Works well. WM may even have it
Old 12-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
I am very curious what your source for the raw wool was, since wool does not melt. perhaps soap residue from the felting process, or a filler in the wool if you used a yarn rather than loose fiber...
Yeah, that was my question. Wool would burn, but not melt!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 AM

I have had this happen and have used the Mr. Clean sponge. Get it really wet. Lay on a thick folded towel, place hot iron on sponge and iron back and forth til iron is clean. It works great. I have used the iron cleaning product in the tube and find it gets into the vents and is very hard to get out and will mark your fabric. The Mr. Clean eraser is so much better. You may have to wet the sponge again and do it again.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
I have been felting wool and decided a really good steaming would be in order-----only I forgot to turn my iron down to "wool". I now have little melted bits of wool on the bottom of two irons. I've tried Spray and Wash, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, and just plain elbow grease. I am now reading the back of a can of oven cleaner. Anybody got any ideas???
mom always used wax paper and salt. when i do this, my iron glides...i think the wax paper makes it glide and the salt cleans sizing, heat n bond, or whatever has collected on the soleplate. good luck. johnnye
Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Power Poster

must be interfacing...wool does not melt. but heating it back up and using a dryer sheet (like a bounce sheet - used one) should be able to remove the rest of the residue. i press wool on cotton all the time..i have hit that yukky interfacing stuff and made a mess before. good luck