Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever have a quilt ruined by a LA Quilter

Banned

Ever have a quilt ruined by a LA Quilter

I have... my first quilt. Got it back tonight. Lesson learned. Such a hard lesson too. I worked so hard on it. Sad part is she was so sweet and so proud. Oh my. Trust me I am not over-reacting - at all. She simply is not ready to quilt for others, but I did not know this going in. Should have been more inquisitive, but she came recommended by a well know fabric shop. I am so so sad, it was to be gift for my niece for college. Now trying to figure out whether I should rip it all out or cut my losses and move on. It was so darn pretty too.
    A very sweet board member is being so kind to listen to me whine. Should have sent it to her, but I had already committed to the other lady when I got her email.

I just need your shoulders to cry on tonight as I mourn my "quilt baby".
    Thanks

Oh! how sad! We'll cry with you...{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

So sorry about your "baby" that must really hurt. I'd take it to the quilt shop, since they recommended her. Maybe at least you could get some new fabric.

I would take it to the person that recommended her to you and ask them what they tought of the quilting. If they agree with you ask why they recommended her! If they think it is fine I dought I'd take there recommendation on anything again! Next time ask to see some of there finished work before commiting to them. If no holes in fabric I would carefully take it apart, take some LA classes, rent a machine and do it myself. It is way cheeper than sending it out to someone else.

Banned
    My next step is to take lessons on a machine at a shop near me, I actually just found it last Thursday - quilt was already at quilters butI was nervous. Then once I complete the lesson, I can rent their machine for $ 15.00 an hour and do it myself. Looking forward to this.

Also the sweet board member on here I have been chatting with said she will quilt it for me if I decide to rip it all out. I am just afriad I will make it worse.

This quilt was to be a gift for my sweet niece to take to college with her. She has designed her room around the colors in the quilt. Oh my - no way I can redo by the time she leaves first of August.

Hope she will not be too disappointed, I will either let her use it as is and make her a new one later, or buy her a cheap bedspread to use until I redo this one.

One confused, sad, pitiful new quilter here .....

If it is really that bad I suppose I would take it out and start over. Whether you want to tell her of your disappointment or not is up to you. I assume you are out some cash, but unless you tell her of your disappointment you can't get reimbursed. In reality, she should know of your disappointment, you could tell her gently and explain what parts of it make you unhappy.

I have ripped out plenty of stitching I have done when doing my own longarm work and have never regretted doing it, as once I did rip it out and redid the designs to my satisfaction I once again loved the quilt. Good luck deciding what to do. If I lived near you I would offer to come and help you rip it out. :-))

If you do decide to rip it out, I am sure that your board member friend will be happy to re-do the quilt to your satisfaction.
    “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
    CS Lewis

I agree you should take it to the person, who recommended her. Other than that, I'd have myself a good cry and then take lots of detailed pictures, of the work. Did you tell the LA'er of your disappointment? If not, you should. Regardless of how sweet and proud she was, she needs to know she isn't ready . . . before she messes up yet another valuable quilt!

I'd go ahead and tell my niece about the quilt. She'll understand why the special quilt will have to wait.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Maybe your niece will still like it?!

Power Poster
    Sorry your quilt isn't quilted well. Sometimes you can remove the quilting (called skinning a quilt on QB) and sometimes it will leave needle holes. Sometimes the needle holes will close up when the quilt is washed. If it isn't too bad, I might wash the quilt and see if it improves the look of the quilting? So disappointing!!!

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry this happened to you. This is one thing I am afraid of. When I get my longarm, I'm going to make plenty sure that I know what I'm doing before I even attempt to quilt one for anyoneelse. I'd never want to ruin someones quilt. I'd be the one crying.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'm feeling bad for you = sending you a hug. Best of luck what you decide to do with it. Keep us posted.
    Mavis

Power Poster
    I am so sorry that happened to you!

As others have said:

1) Show it to the person that recommended the LAer - it might be that this was a 'friend' and she didn't have a clue what kind of work she actually did (bad person bad person!)

2) Explain to the LAer what is wrong with the job she did - you don't have to be nasty about it - you need to be specific about what disappointed you - she can't fix/change something that she isn't aware of.

3) If she is 'so sweet' - she might feel bad - but if one isn't ready to work on other people's things - one isn't ready.
    I'm reasonably sure you won't want a do-over by the same person - I think I would also ask for a refund considering that you will probably have to remove all the stitching.

Some people should NEVER be allowed near other people's things. They just don't have the touch.

Others do magic.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Bearisgray is right on.
    I add one other thing, tell those you know who may be using/looking for a LA that this lady is NOT ready. You only have one chance to make a first impression and she blew it, no matter her intentions or thoughts on the matter.

I once had this experience and ended up taking all the stitches out. It was fine, just took time. My $ was never refunded, but a large 400 member guild heard the story of her work and it was years before she really developed her business after that.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Yep, made an beautiful quilt I designed it from start to finish. I took it to a lady and went through exactly what I wanted and I even took pictures to show her. When I got it back it was terrible and to top it off she used green thread on a white fabric to make it "pop" I threw the whole thing away I couldn't bear to look at it.

How did she ruin it? Is the quilting just poorly done or did she get it skewed, puckered, etc?

I'm just curious how a LA could actually ruin a quilt.

For people who aren't into quilting, the actual "quilting" part is less important that the colors of it, usually. So, I'd say go ahead and give it to your niece if it is the colors that she wanted. Before I started quilting, I never ever noticed the actual "quilting designs" in things.

I would take my time and gently rip it out. Rip on the backing so that any mistakes would be on the back and the batting. I have one that the back was ruined on, and that is what I plan to do to it. I don't get stippling or anything really small on my quilts though. I get things like vines and clouds and figure 8's. Basic stuff.

I probably would have also told her she need much more practice and I did not want to pay for it, or at least not pay full price. No way I'd pay full quilting prices for my quilt to be ruined. I can ruin them for free myself!
    "Wimpy Christian's won't survive spiritual warfare"- Carman

I'm also curious by what you mean by "ruined." I've ripped out a lot of stitches, and if the design isn't too close together, would advise that you do that. It doesn't take nearly as long as you probably think it will, and then you will be able to salvage the quilt.

Blog Entries
    another thought... if you don't really want to rip it out, try washing the quilt. after washing, many times the quilting does not show as much and the puffy, crinkly look will cover the [poor] quilting.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    can you post pictures of the quilt? what exactly is wrong?...i know you say the quilt is ruined...but that is a broad statement.....

and, did you let the person know what your thoughts are? i would! the only way she'll learn to improve is if she recieves the criticism!

This is a note to everyone who is considering having a quilt done by a LA quilter. I am sorry that there are some LA quilters that do not have the experience to please customers or simply want the money to pay for their machine and do not truly care.

I have been doing longarm quilting as a busines for over 10 years and I have never had a complaint about my quilting. That may sound like bragging but I am proud of that fact.

Before I started quilting for others I spent several months (that is correct months, not days or weeks) teaching myself how to use my machine because I did not want to mess up someones quilt.

Now even though I have been doing this for years anytime I have a new customer I spend time showing them samples of my work. I have quilts of various sizes, throw, twin, full and queen with a variety of quilting techniques. I feel this is essential if they are going to trust me with there quilt.

If someone has no full size samples to show you then you cannot see the quality of her/his work. At that point I would say "NO THANKS, I need to see some of your quilts before I trust you with mine. I am sorry but a little wall hanging with lots of stitching does not qualify as a proper sample of what someone can do on an actual quilt.

I have one lady, now a loyal customer for at least 5 years, the first quilt she had done by someone who called herself a LA quilter was a disaster. The top was full of puckers and I won't mention the mess of the back. The long and short is I said if she took it apart I would quilt it correctly and if she wasn't happy it would be a freebie. But as I said she is now a loyal customer and she has sent me other work but I am sure she never recommended the first person.

Sorry if this has gotten way too long but I think everyone needs to know there are good and bad LA quilters. It's the old saying someone has to graduate at the bottom of the class.

Longarm

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry. I would really show the la quilter what is wrong> If you don't show her she will not learn from her mistake. and just take the stitching out if possable and quilt it yourself. I am so sorry that happened. I know she was sweet and all but she has to know. That's just what I think. Good luck
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I had a quilt come back a mess from a longarm quilter. It had tucks and puckers and it was done in white thread on my beautiful gray and burgundy fabrics. She also trimmed it and it looked like she let the dog chew off the edges. It really was a total mess. I unstitched the worst tucks and puckers around the edges and got the binding on and done and washed it and gave it to a friend. Gray and burgundy are her most favorite colors and she totally loves that quilt. She sees the color and pattern of the quilt and not the mess the quilter made of it.

At the time I wondered how a longarm quilter in a good size shop in a community with such a large guild could have such a short turn around time. Then I figured out it's because if anybody took anything to her to be quilted it was only once!!

I would rip out all the quilting and have someone elae quilt it. Wash and dry before gifting it.
    This is one reason I do my own quilting on my own quilts on my DSM. I love to do and the looks of FMQ and mostly what I do. My work pleases me and that is my aim.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Oh so sorry for you-but ripping out all the stitches on a whole quilt will take many hours.I would let her know you are not happy -washing may help it a lot.Can you show us a pic?Was the quilting design the problem? or tension with loopies on the back?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

I've had 2 experiences. One was sent out of town to someone that was recommended to me. I should have known by how much she charged that she wasn't experienced. It was a pond quilt that Fat Cat patterns had and she quilted it in ripples to look like water. All the rows were evenly spaced but one and it runed the whole quilt. I didn't say anything. It was my mistake for sending it. The other was my son-in-laws fireman quilt. The back was to have a border all around and she didn't center it. I was sick. She is a professional that used to own a quilt shop and she was wonderful. She ripped it all out, even bought extra material to re-do the border and didn't charge me a penny extra. I would mention that you weren't happy with it. At the very least she might help you rip it out. That's a big job.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast