Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever have a quilt ruined by a LA Quilter

I only had one that was not to my satisfaction. When I went to pick up the quilt, I talked to the shop owner about it. The person who quilted the quilt, took all the stitching out and re-did it - fortunately it was only in the sashing that there were problems and it was lap size.

I can see why you are unhappy. So sad that such a beautiful quilt got messed up but I do think that since you are giving it to a college student your niece will think it's lovely. She will see YOUR work and the colors and not even notice the poor stitching. I wouldn't even mention your disappointment to her. If you let her know the stitching was bad that is what she will see every time she looks at the quilt. Once it's washed it will be even less noticeable.

I strongly agree, Gramie bj. The lqs needs to know so they don't recommend her to any more people. Hopefully there aren't any holes in it and you can fix it. So sad!
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

Maybe your neice wont feel like u do...she may like it the way it is since it was a gift made by you. Wish you'd included an pic for us to view but im sorry you feel like it was not done good. Hope u feel better after you view it from a different direction ?? Oopsie...missted reading the earilier posting/pictures...i see whats wrong and im sorry this happened to you but i hiope you get it resolved somehow to your satisfaction..
    Last edited by nwm50; 07-24-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: missed earilier posting
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Oh my, I would have been embarrassed to let it out the door if it had been me. I'm brand new to longarm quilting myself, but never in my life would I consider continuing on if even one blooper happened. I'm a stickler for doing things right the first time and seeing your quilt is so sad! Maybe you could have a de-quilting bee of friends come for an evening of ripping.
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

If possible I would rip it out. Spend some time on it each day and will soon be done.

Ouch! I'm so sorry for your bad experience! So much time and love invested. Sad.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

That quilting is completely unacceptable. It is hard to believe that the quilter doesn't know that there are real issues with her work. So sorry you have had to experience this. Remove the quilting from the back, replace the backing and have someone whose work you know quilt it for you. Best of luck to you.
    Janet-Lee Santeusanio
    MQX Founder
    http://www.MQXShow.com

I am so sorry. I agree with the others, the shop that recommended her needs to see it, so they don't recommend her again until she has MUCH more experience. If I were that shop I would want to see her work again before giving someone her name.

Blog Entries
    I see your point, and I feel for you, because I would have exactly the same response. The LA deserves to know your concerns. She can only get better because of it, or she doesn't belong in the business selling her services. If it were me, I would take out the areas that 'don't look right'. I am willing to bet someone, if not yourself, could most certainly correct those areas and no one would be the wiser. Hopefully the entire quilting doesn't need to be taken out. That said, this is your niece's quilt that you lovingly made for her. It is a treasure. If you are not happy with it, you may feel better having the entire thing re-done. She will see the love you put into it, she doesn't need to see the awful quilting a wannabe LA quilter did. There are several wonderfully talented people on this Board that no doubt would be willing to help you out. And if it is re-done, please share with us again. We'd all love to see the entire quilt!

Blog Entries
    That is bad! You have every right to be upset. I would let the one that recommended her know how disappointed you are. I know I would ask for a refund. If she gets upset or huffy I'd would tell her fine, I'll let everyone know I am a very dissatisfied customer and keep the quilt and show them why. I don't mind confrontation when it's my money being spent for shoddy work.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    What is amazing to me is that she thought it was fine. She must have never looked at it. It really is a bad quilting job, with the odd shapes skipped stitches etc.
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    I also hate confrontation but in this case, I would HAVE to let the LA know how unhappy you are with it. I'm no expert by any means on sewing but I would be very unhappy with the job she did. She needs to know that it is not an acceptable job...just think you may be saving someone else from the heartache you are experiencing. Take a good friend with you to see her to bolster your courage...your friend doesn't need to say anything, just be there. AND do let your LQS who recommended her know that you are not satisfied with the quilting and show them. Their reputation is on the line, too, when they recommend her. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
    My next step is to take lessons on a machine at a shop near me, I actually just found it last Thursday - quilt was already at quilters but I was nervous. Then once I complete the lesson, I can rent their machine for $ 15.00 an hour and do it myself. Looking forward to this......
    I am curious how it was ruined. Is it puckered? Is it too tight or too loose? What happened?

While we were in the US this spring, I sent out two quilts to be done by an "unknown" LA quilter. I too was very disappointed in the results. My guess is that the machine tension was out of whack. As the pattern went one direction, everything seemed fine, but as it went the other direction the stitches were huge and loose--just lying on top of the fabric! The bobbin thread literally lay on the top of the cloth just under loops from the top thread. I believe she may also have pushed the quilt too fast for the machine to catch up if that makes sense. For sure her stitch length was not right. My fear is that the loose top thread may allow things to catch on the bobbin thread and actually pull it out.

I showed the work to another LA quilter and she was appalled. She offered to do it over for me if I wanted to have it done, but I could not afford to pay for it twice. She also asked me who did it and I refused to say because I am not into the bashing business. I am hoping that I can gradually do a few places by hand if they come out.

I did quite a bit of research before I contracted with my quilter. I got recommendations, went to her shop and looked carefully at the quilts she had on display. What more could I have done?
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

I see your point. I would never have given it back to a client in this codition. As a longarm quilter I hate to hear about incidents like this. It is always good to ask to see some examples of someone's work before committing your quilt. It's one of the reasons we maintain a website. Another good question you can ask is what training or classes, if any, have they had to advance their skills. I have taken 45 hours of private training on using our Intelliquilter from Suzanne Moreno and other group classes. This can give you an idea of how dedicated the person is to their craft.

I would also like to give you Kudos on your post regarding this regrettable situation. You stated the problem and your sorrow but didn't "rip the quilter" to shreds. I wish we could all come over and have an unquilting bee to help you. She won't really need the quilt til colder weather so even if it's a little late: I suggest...Put on a good movie, get a LARGE box of Godiva chocolate and rip it, rip it, rip it. And I would speak to the quilter about it and about a refund. Good luck if you decide to try it yourself.
    Last edited by Silver Needle; 07-24-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    It's been many years and many quilts ago, but I sent a quilt off to a LAQ recommended by a quilt shop I went to on a regular basis. The LAQ had done several quilts for me before doing this particular one and they had all been just fine - pretty well done in fact. This one had a lot of "eye lashes" on the back side of the quilt - very noticable. I contacted her several times asking to talk to her - she never charged me for it, nor did she ever return a call or email. I was so disappointed that she wouldn't talk to me. I have the quilt over a chair and my daughter said it will be going with her when she moves out - she loves it. I made another quilt for my niece's daughter and sent it instead - she never knew about the first one.

I am new to longarm quilting (doing it for just the last six months). I have only done quilts for a group that gives me their charity quilts to practice on. I have found that pantographs are not my thing - I have difficulty making them look nice with smooth lines - I really enjoy freehand quilting and am happy to say each one is nicer than the last. However, I have spent some time unquilting because I have to be proud of it before it goes out the door - charity or not - it needs to look its best. Sometimes that hasn't been easy given the quality of the piecing, but I have been given a lot of positive feedback on the ones I have finished so far.

I took two to a customer today - she paid for the batting and I did everything else for free. I did have some issues in my meandering loops on one of the quilts and she gave me some tips on what to try - I was so thankful for her help. They will probably wash out once the binding has been sewn down and it can be tossed into the washer/dryer. The second quilt took me over two hours of stitching (on the longarm) and I was pretty happy with it and so was the customer. I have found that taking more time nets a better product!

I am in no way ready to charge a customer for my work yet! I have only taken one class so far and want to take some more before doing a quilt for someone for money. I would feel horrible if they didn't like it -

Blog Entries
    I think that the LQS should be informed about this work. I think the LAQ'er should be informed about her sloppy work. It doesn't matter whether your niece likes it or not, it doesn't matter what the LQS thinks. It matter what you think!!!!! If'n it were me, I would inform the LQS about her shoddy work (new at LAQ'ing or not) and demand your money back and you should be paid for having to take out the stitches). You know, we sit there and sew something very very special for a niece, or a mother or a sister or brother or friend or special neighbor, whatever. We put our love into it, we put our time into it, we put our heart in to it and to have someone completely annhilate a beautiful piece of work is totally unacceptable. I wouldn't wash it and "hope" that it would look better. It probably won't and then it'll be twice as hard to remove the stitching and besides which the shop and the quilter should see what it looks like before you do anything to it. I am not being nasty by any means. I am standing up for YOU and the work YOU put into to it and the anticipation YOU had waiting to see how it was going to turn out and the sadness and anger YOU felt when you did see it.

I do not put up with that kind of work and I do not accept that kind of work. You have learned a lesson from all of this. But you shouldn't have had to.

I would take the quilt back to the LQS, show it to them, tell them what you expect them to do as far as recommending her as a quilter. I would take the quilt back to the LAQ'er and tell her that you want your money back because it is sloppy, shoddy (and from the pictures it is - no quilt should look like that) and that she has to pay you for having to take all the stitches out and take it to another LAQ'er because you don't want her to touch it!

My quilts (the ones I make - whether they are for our home or for gifts) are made with love. I have such good feelings when I make them. No one has the right to take that away from me and it sure looks like the quilter did it to you.

If you are angry with the woman tell her, don't be wishy-washy. This was a very important quilt for you to make as well as give. You lost the true joy of giving of this quilt and you probably may not get that feeling back unless you totally make everything right for YOU.

I hope you are able to get the stitching out, because I do truly feel that this could become a gorgeous quilt and a loved quilt, but to think you have to make another one and use the original as a dog bed is soooo sad!

I don't apologize for being blunt. I apologize for carrying on. I do that when I feel that someone is hurting and there isn't a whole heckuva lot I can do, except vent my spleen, which I do think I did a pretty darn good job of doing - spleen venting, that is!

Do what your heart tells you to do, but come out of it feeling good about it.

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Lots of good ideas here for you. I just hope you can "fix" the quilt, that the LAer doesn't do any more until she has more experience (on her own quilts), and that you only have good experiences with LAers from now on.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Instead of mourning - stand up for your quilt! What happened, why is it "wrong", why did you pay her, why didn't you confront her, and the referring party should know about it. Especially if it was your LQS (Local Quilt Shop) as they should see the work, and realize that they are hurting themselves if sub-standard work was provided. They stand to lose customers (you and others in the future). About taking lessons, maybe you will learn if your workman ship was at fault, and you will need hours of work on a rental machine until you feel comfortable working a long arm yourself.

How about some pictures.Maybe it isn't so bad.

Awe, that's terrible! I know that has to be an awful feeling after working so hard on a quilt!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Do you know what hasn't been mentioned? The broken stitching isn't just unattractive, it jeopardizes the integrity of the quilt. Dorm quilts get dirty, what with food & drink and slumber parties in other rooms, studying on the grass, etc. and get a lot of washing. A few times through the laundry, and all that stitching is going to come out.

I understand your not wanting to confront this woman (I'd have a hard time, too) but do it for your niece's sake. Think about how she'll feel when her beautiful quilt falls apart.

So, like everyone else, here is what I recommend:

1. Take it first to the shop that recommended her. They need to know never to recommend this woman again.

2. Go back to the quilter. If she's half as nice as you say, she'll offer to rip out the stitching (and she should!). If not, request it. She should also refund your money, as you will now have to have it requilted and did not receive the service for which you paid.

3. Send it to someone on this board, you'll get back the most beautiful quilting, guaranteed!

You made a beautiful top. It deserves better, and so does your niece. Good luck, and let us know how it turned out.
    Last edited by MaryAnnMc; 07-25-2012 at 04:27 AM.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    I have actually taken quilting out that was done so badly....I cut the stitches between the backing and the batting to be sure I didn't snip the front by accident...I didn't wash it before having it requilted but did after it came back and the original stitches disappeared...lots of work but it was a special quilt also. good luck
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    so sorry about your quilt had that happen to a friend and she ripped it all out that was why I started taking quilting lessons on my domestic machine abd really it isn't so hard I did buy the propper table and I do the large ones in sections also saves me a lot of money

Banned
    Thanks for all of the support and suggestions!
    I have decided to removing the quilting and and very special quilting board memeber has so kindly and generously offered to quilt it for me. I am going to open a thread about her generosity next! I am overwhelmed by it.

And to clear up a few details, it was not a LQS who recommended her, but a fabric store, a large well known fabric store with a huge presence in this area, one I thought I could trust for a recommendation. It has been around for ages, long before I was even born.

My second mistake was not following my gut feeling. When I left the quilt, even though the lady was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable about quilts and quilting, I had a bad feeling. I have good instincts and should have followed them.

My third mistake was paying her, rather than confronting her. Once I saw my quilt when I picked it up I did not really notice how horrible it was at first glance. I saw a couple of things, but thought maybe I was being too critical. And I was somewhat shocked and embarrassed for her, if you know what I mean. It was not until I got it home, unfolded it and saw the horrendous quilting.

I have learned many lessons here, some costly lessons, and I will need to be more careful about being so trusting of everyone. I should have checked her out more thourghly, but relied on what I thought was a good recommendation.

I am going to contact the store today and tell them what happened, but as far a contacting the quilter, not sure I can do that. She was so proud and really thought she did a good job. She had me wait while she took photos of the quilt. I am wondering if her eye sight is failing or to her this is good enough. She definitely needs more practice if she is going to quilt for others. I know many of you will not agree with not contacting her, but it is not my personality to do this. I wish sometimes I could be more aggressive this way, but I just can't. I will have to live with the finanical loss, cost of a hard lesson learned.

Best of all, thankfully I do believe my quilt will be saved! I have a lot of stitching to remove, but I am excited that it can hopefully be fixed, and this will not keep me from pusuing my new found love of quilting!

Thanks again for your suport - this board ahs some of the best members ever!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast