Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever have a quilt ruined by a LA Quilter

I had that happen - it was a freind who quilted it for my she quilted it to death. I was so dispaointed but pulling it out was way to much so I still have the quilt and everytime I look at it I think of how stupid I was. That was 25 years ago. I worked so hard on that quilt and was so disaponted. Thats when I stated to quilt my quilts myself!

I quilt on a regular sewing machine and find washing it helps a lot to make the stiches set and pull in. It hides a lot of flaws especially drying it in the dryer afterwards. People generally love the look and feel of a washed and dryed quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    another thought... if you don't really want to rip it out, try washing the quilt. after washing, many times the quilting does not show as much and the puffy, crinkly look will cover the [poor] quilting.
    Anna Quilts

My opinion? Take a picture so we can see what is going on. But w/onseeing it, i would first take it to the person that reccomended her to you and show them. Then i would take it back to the LA er and tell her that you are not happy and see if you can work out something agreeable. I feel for you- after all that work that you put into it and for a gift, you want it to be perfect. It's one thing if I ruin my own quilt, quite another if I ruin someone else's. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

You could take any or all of the measures above but FIRST I would go to the person who did the work and explain why it is unacceptable to you. I believe you should give her a break and talk-face-to-face. Do this first before going to other people and destroying her reputation. There may be a reason why she found it difficult to do satisfactory work.....lack of communication, for example, or something in the quilt material, etc.

Second, don't go the ripping route, it's time better given to pleasanter tasks.--give the quilt as-is to your niece to use in her room, explain the problem and together plan the well-finished quilt you will make for her.
    Remembering dorm rooms, it may be getting some very hard use.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 07-24-2012 at 06:26 AM.

I too am sad to say I share your experience. It was a quilt that was all pieced with 1 inch cut squares, and measured 70 inches by 70 inches .... I got it back and she had stitched in a huge tuck. Now I know that may have been possible if the quilt had not been square.... or had volcano type fabric bulges... but this was none of that.. The quilt was no longer square when I got it back .. 6 inches shorter on one side... 4 inches shorter on another... hence the Huge tuck. It was beyond quilted to death .. and it was all batiks .. no way to remove all the quilting .. and not have holes and risk seams coming apart. ..I had about 4000 hours into the top. This was to be a potential show quilt. I was literally in tears. I have no clue as to how this could have happened.
    I now use some of the board members here... I will gladly put my quilts in the mail , before risking another outcome like I experienced. . The board members here that I have used have done amazing work on my quilts, and I want to cry from being overwhelmed at the beauty of their stitches.
    Sending you big hugs ... wish I could wave a wand and make it better.

DO show this to the shop that refered you, they need to be able to refer to quality , competent profesionals.

Sorry to hear about your quilt. I was a new quilter and took my first flannel quilt to a recommended long arm quilter. She quilted my quilt and then gave me a letter along with the bill for the quilting that turned out to be a critique saying that my piecing was very good for a new quilter but the flannel was not to her liking! Sad thing was at the time the flannel was all in the 10.00 a yard range-- so was not the thin cheap kind but she felt the qaulity was not very good!! First and last quilt that went to her....turns out she was a fairly new LA quilted!!

sorry you feel your quilt is ruined, but would like a description of what/how it was ruined. big tucks? tears? just not looking the way you pictured in your mind?

i don't send quilts out or use a LA myself, but what i "think" is happening out there is having your own LA is becoming so popular (and an expensive investment)some salesman are pitching "you can easily pay this off by quilting for others". People are doing just that, but without enough experience. Saw the same thing happen many years ago when home knitting machines became popular and again when emb. machines were all the rage. Fact is though, most will not make money with any of these. Unless you are willing to put the time in perfecting your skills, it just won't happen.

Others here have given some very good suggestions. please look into your options before giving up on the quilt

Banned
    Thanks for the support and replies. I am at work and connot post pictures until I get home tonight. When I say ruined, here are some of hte issues:
    she used a scallop pattern, but the scllops are in no way uniform, some are flat some are huge running into the next row. There are many broken threads and uneven stitches. And there is the border - on one end she quilted the obrder, the other end ... nothing. and on the borders on the sides what a mess, she quilted into them, starting a stoppoing at various places. there are some scallops that area mess, one looks like her machine got away from her and it looks like a duck. Another palce the same happend and ther is a loop right in the middle of a scallop. You would agree I am sure that it is a mess. I brought the quilt to work with me to show a couple of friends, they are speechless.
    I think she is just too new at using her machine for quilting. In talking to her yesterday I was informed she only got the machine in Dec. She has quilted for years, by hand and on her domestic machine, the quilts I saw were nice, but not done on the new machine. Her main fault was just not being ready to quilt for others using this machine. I will not pass her name on to anyone, but I just don't think I can go back an confront her. I am so not good at things like that. I should have not been so trusting of the recommendation.
    The more I think about it, I think I will leave it be, I know that ripping it out will be time consuming and I would possibly just get frustrated and toss it aside. Makes me sad to look at it so I think I will move on. At least it can be used for a quilt even it my niece does not want it as a spread. She may not have a problem with it, she is not a picky person and has been so excited about getting the quilt. I will make her another one in the near future.

And for fun at college the girls in her dorm can play "where's the duck" sort of like where's Waldo, the one who finds the duck shaped scallop is the winner! - Just a joke but - but I am trying to find some humor to keep from crying. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, I think I lost on this one.

Blog Entries
    If you "de quilt" it & yes I have done it! Use a mustache trimmer, I used a battery operation one and just shaved over the stitches and used my seam ripper to just pick up where I needed to. It did take a full day but you cannot tell it every had a stitch! The quilt was saved and ready to be "re quilted"
    Patski
    always learning

Banned
    Ok, I was able to get a few pics off of my facebook account I will try to post these. And no, I didn't not post these pics on fb, just sent them privately to a friend last night - I needed a shoulder to cry on. This is a small sample of many issues, I think you will see I am not over reacting.
    Name:  quilt1.JPG
Views: 1088
Size:  1.28 MBName:  quilt2JPG.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  1.21 MBName:  quilt2JPG.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  1.21 MBName:  quilt4.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  1.62 MB

Oh, that's too bad. I agree, that is not quality quilting at all. But as others have said - wash it, and much of this will be less visible. I bet your niece will still love it. The colours looks lovely.

Perhaps I missed something here,,,,,but what Exactly is wrong with the quilting....Puckers, pleats......
    Do you think you have time to rip it apart and requilt it in time ?????

How sad!... That is exactly why I will only quilt my own. Different ones have asked me to, but I know I'M not ready to do that and I have a FEAR of ruining someones beautiful work. So sorry this happened to you, after you worked so hard on the top!...
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    Perhaps I missed something here,,,,,but what Exactly is wrong with the quilting....Puckers, pleats......
    Do you think you have time to rip it apart and requilt it in time ?????
    ok...didn't see the pictures when I posted this message. How about this idea.
    Give it to your niece, as is, explain to her what you feel is wrong with the quilt, tell her you are going to make her another new one and she will have for Christmas or before and then the first one can be turned into a dog bed.
    I would definatly confront the LAQ, the personal recommendation person and the LQS show them the quilt, don't just talk about it.....they need to SEE it for sure...that is worst than my first FMQ I did a hundred years ago.....Get your money back, stand your ground....be strong, but stay Nice.....

I can see your concerns, but once it's washed most will not be as noticeable.
    remember, this quilt is going off to college for four years. It will be a warm reminder of your love for your niece not a piece of art in her dorm room. She will only see the love you put into it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, looking at the pictures I agree that the quilting leaves a lot to be desired. Even if you don't want to confront the quilter, I would take it to the person who made the recommendation. I've had my LA for a year and don't think I'm ready for paying customers! For most folks, it's a loooooooong learning curve.
    I also agree with just leaving it be. Most folks will just see your lovely piecing, not the quilting, and the 'where's the duckie' idea is a hoot!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I would definitely let the long arm quilter know that this isn't quality work. I know you don't like confrontation - not many of us do - but she needs to know before she does this to another quilt top. Unless she did this for free, I would ask for a refund of all or part of the fee, too.

From the pictures shown, I agree that it will not be so visible once it's washed, but that's not the point. You paid for a certain level of expertise, and you didn't receive it.

Janet

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'd be very sad too.

Power Poster
    "find the ducky" - the new name for that quilt?

I agree - the quilting is definitely NOT professional looking -

The suggestions to talk to your niece are good - see what she thinks - as OCD as I am - I am tending to agree that the piecing will overshadow the quilting - the top you made is lovely.

And when it is washed and puffed up - the majority of people probably will not look at it all that carefully - what they will see are the colors.

BUT - the people that pointed you in that direction NEED to be SHOWN the work - and perhaps they can talk to the LAer if you aren't willing to.

I really appreciate you posting the pictures! i have had my longarm since november and am only doing my own quilts at this point. but I like to see other's LA quilting to know what is expected and what is totally wrong.

It looks like:
    1) she is using a pantograph or a scallop template. some back tracking is very obvious
    2) many skipped stitches. the machine is not working correctly or the stitch regulator has a major problem.

I think it "works" for a college quilt but not a show quilt - though obviously the longarmer should refund for you.

This is a real shame. I'm so sorry for you. It can be salvaged, but the labor would be intensive. If it weren't your first quilt, I'm sure that you would likely chalk it up to a bad experience and move on. But, you only have one "first". Dang. If you would like some help, let me know.
    http://trenbeathranch.com

Wow....looks like she was drinking when she was quilting. I would for sure go back to the person who recommended this person and would go back to the LAQ and get my money back....how awful!

Blog Entries
    a friend of mine had a purple and pink quilt done in red thread by a Long arm quilter. she had to rip it all out and do it herself. lesson taught to talk first about everything. hope you can rescue the quilt.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I would get a black permanent fabric marker and go over. All the stitching ib black. Then i would do a stipple design over that to mask it. The stitching on the print isn't as noticeable.

Definitely let the LA quilter know you are unhappy with the work and the people who recommended her too. This poor work for pay must stop now, you will be doing any future customers a big favor!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast