Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help Identifying Fabric

Blog Entries

Help Identifying Fabric

A few days ago I purchased a big old bunch of fabric at an estate sale. In the bunch there was some black fabric yardage that seemed to be a high thread count cotton or cotton/linen or ??? I originally thought I would use it for some tea towels (yes, I know. Odd color, but to each his or her own). Now I am thinking it might have been something meant to make men's suits!

Anyway, in the middle of the yardage there was a stamp. Also weird.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I'm no help....very interesting fabric.

I just googled Glen Ridges + Fabric and got a fabric manufacturer based in New Jersey. You could probably send them the photo and they'd be able to tell you which of their fabrics it is and what the content is too.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

If you burn a small square of then fabric and it goes to ashes it will b e a natural fiber such as cotton or ail. If it beads or has a hrs plastic ball it is a synthetic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
    I just googled Glen Ridges + Fabric and got a fabric manufacturer based in New Jersey. You could probably send them the photo and they'd be able to tell you which of their fabrics it is and what the content is too.
    Hmmm. I tried that, too. The only results I got were retail shops selling their product but no website or email.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

They may have moved manufacturing off-shore. If you think this is old fabric you may want to contact the chamber of commerce or the historical society in Glen ridges to see if they have info. They often have old phone books. You can also do a corporation search for New Jersey and see if they are there
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    I moved from the Glen Ridge, NJ area 2 years ago..there is no fabric mfg there anymore. What I wouldn't give to go to a good estate sale..that area is full of them..at least 2 or 3 every weekend.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Question GLENRIDGES FABRIC identification

I also have this fabric- I purchased it as part of an estate sale- I have 3 different pieces of yardage - each 60" wide and about 3.3 yds long a navy blue, a khaki/tan and a brown I have been trying to identify them and determine their value as I am no longer sewing

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Hmmm. I tried that, too. The only results I got were retail shops selling their product but no website or email.
    What about contacting the retail shops the manager/s may be able to shed some light on this for you.