Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help--Making a Michigan Star Quilt Block >

Help--Making a Michigan Star Quilt Block

Help--Making a Michigan Star Quilt Block

Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Question Help--Making a Michigan Star Quilt Block

I am making this block and not sure how to make the block that has half triangle with 2 quarter triangles. I've never made this before and wondered if anyone has suggestions on how to make it. I'd google it but I don't know what it's called

My next step is to calculate what size I need each block to be.

Thanks for any and all help.
Attached Thumbnails michigan-star.jpg  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM

If I was making this block I would make the triangle between the two green points two pieces to avoid the y seam just my idea
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM

I agree with Up North - divide the white triangle in half to avoid the "Y" seam. You can then work it out as a paper pieced pattern easily. The green triangle is piece #1, white is #2 and the red or cream (depending which side you are working on) is #3. Then join the two units together to make the points of the star. (Make 4 of these blocks). The other blocks are squares. Wish I could draw this out for you, but I have no clue as to how to do it on the computer, sorry. Hope my explanation is clear.

Anita
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

This web site shows how to make the HST so that you have the same fabric on two sides and different ones on the opposite sides (see option 2 for the easier way). In your case, one of the squares that you use for the first HST will be a 4-patch of the two fabrics you want in that 1/4 section of the block. At least I think that's the way it should work.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tars__D11.html

Edited - this way there are no y-seams, but I haven't made it so I don't know how difficult it is to line everything up. I think I will try it later...
Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 PM

I would make the red/white as 2 small half square triangles and then use this with a quarter square blue. This way you don't have the bias edges on the outside. The other half would be the QST blue/white pieces to give you the hour glass block. You can draw it out on graph paper to figure your piece sizes.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 AM

Thank you, this helps me with most of it. Maybe I'm just really obtuse but I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to cut the two little triangles that sit next to the quarter triangle. I don't know how to paper piece and am just getting really frustrated I've been tinkering with this all morning and not getting anywhere. Can anyone tell me exactly how to do those triangles? When that center side block is finished, it should be 4.5 inches.

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
This web site shows how to make the HST so that you have the same fabric on two sides and different ones on the opposite sides (see option 2 for the easier way). In your case, one of the squares that you use for the first HST will be a 4-patch of the two fabrics you want in that 1/4 section of the block. At least I think that's the way it should work.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tars__D11.html

Edited - this way there are no y-seams, but I haven't made it so I don't know how difficult it is to line everything up. I think I will try it later...
Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM

I am nor sure on the measurements exactly. Try cutting 3 inch squares to star. Use scrap fabric until you get it exact so you don't waste your pattern fabric. Cut the two different colors in half. Place the 90 deg corners together. The other halves will make up the another triangle for you. 2 squares of light and 2 of dark for each block. I hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I would do it as a square with quarter square triangles on it to make it a square in a square. then on point with either hst's around it or flying geese. which ever you prefer to make.
then fill in with background triangles.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 AM

If it helps a little more visually, place your dark square to the left of the light square. Now cut each in half from the lower outer corner to the upper inner corner where they meet.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM

I got it, a lot of trial and error but I have a 12.5 inch block done! Thanks to all who helped me with this frustration
Attached Thumbnails vqw-pics-001.jpg