Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
:( HELP with making quilted Bible bags >

:( HELP with making quilted Bible bags

:( HELP with making quilted Bible bags

Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Default :( HELP with making quilted Bible bags

At my last church group meeting of our SOWERS group, one of my friends who is going on a missionary trip to the Philippines (middle of September) needs 22 Bible bags to be made. Well, I have had some experience with making the grocery bags so I volunteer to help make some. The bags will be 9" wide and 11" in height.

Here is my problem. I have never dealt with making any bags with lining. YIKES!! Please remember that I have poor coordination due to Chronic Fatigue. I also can't view videos due to having a very old XP computer.

Below is the first quilt body of the bag I have made which is 12.5" height and 18.5" in width. Mine design is going to have one center seam going down the back. I am ready to attach the 27" length shoulder handle on the side edges. I was then going to sew the top edge of the bag to the lining but then this is where I get lost. Can I then sew the bottoms of the bag and the lining separate and somehow turn it right side out so I can do a French seam down the back?? Or should I sew the back seam and then do a French seam on the bottom of the bag. I just want to avoid getting myself cornered with a mess.

I know that with pillowcases, you can sew them together in one stitch and then pull the pillowcase thru the opening of the cuff. Any help will be appreciated. THANKS NO U-Tube or videos please.

And ANY pattern suggestions of using blocks with strips will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails white-bible-strips.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Cannot help with suggestions just wanted to say I love your fabrics!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:53 AM

Sew a Must-Have Multitasking Bag: Tutorial + FREE Tote Pattern
Posted by Linda Reynolds on Aug 20, 2014 in Sewing | 3 Comments
I don't know if this will help,

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/08/free-tote-pattern/

My brother and SIL are Sowers.........nice fabri

Last edited by calla; 08-23-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
At my last church group meeting of our SOWERS group, one of my friends who is going on a missionary trip to the Philippines (middle of September) needs 22 Bible bags to be made. Well, I have had some experience with making the grocery bags so I volunteer to help make some. The bags will be 9" wide and 11" in height.

Here is my problem. I have never dealt with making any bags with lining. YIKES!! Please remember that I have poor coordination due to Chronic Fatigue. I also can't view videos due to having a very old XP computer.

Below is the first quilt body of the bag I have made which is 12.5" height and 18.5" in width. Mine design is going to have one center seam going down the back. I am ready to attach the 27" length shoulder handle on the side edges. I was then going to sew the top edge of the bag to the lining but then this is where I get lost. Can I then sew the bottoms of the bag and the lining separate and somehow turn it right side out so I can do a French seam down the back?? Or should I sew the back seam and then do a French seam on the bottom of the bag. I just want to avoid getting myself cornered with a mess.

I know that with pillowcases, you can sew them together in one stitch and then pull the pillowcase thru the opening of the cuff. Any help will be appreciated. THANKS NO U-Tube or videos please.

And ANY pattern suggestions of using blocks with strips will be appreciated.
Make a lining bag same size as outer, sew all seams including the bottom seams. Lay the out bag out with outside out--main fabric showin------pin the straps where you want them with raw ends up and strap laying on the outside of the bag. Pick up lining sewn with all seams but top. Slip outer shell into the lining bag. Pin & sew all the way around the top BUT leave an opening of maybe 5-6" The straps should not be seen yet. Pull one bag thru the hole and finish off the upper seam by hand or even on the machine.

Now, I have to say, this makes perfectly good sense to me, but I've been doing it for decades. So ask if it's as clear as mud.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Make a lining bag same size as outer, sew all seams including the bottom seams. Lay the out bag out with outside out--main fabric showin------pin the straps where you want them with raw ends up and strap laying on the outside of the bag. Pick up lining sewn with all seams but top. Slip outer shell into the lining bag. Pin & sew all the way around the top BUT leave an opening of maybe 5-6" The straps should not be seen yet. Pull one bag thru the hole and finish off the upper seam by hand or even on the machine.

Now, I have to say, this makes perfectly good sense to me, but I've been doing it for decades. So ask if it's as clear as mud.
Ignore that second sentence. @@
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post

I do the same way but leave the bottom seam of the lining open 6-8" and sew the top completely around. You then turn the bag right side out through the hole in the lining bottom. Sew the lining shut with machine or hand.
when putting the bag and lining together be sure you have right sides together.